Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Turn our Focus

Hello, mommies! I heard this song as I was making dinner last night, and her words have stayed with me throughout the night and this morning. I wanted to share it with each of you, as I feel it will speak deeply to some of you.

"Blessings" by Laura Story

Have you ever felt like the Lord has promised you and your family a season of blessings, but the current circumstances aren't lining up with His words? It's confusing, it's hurtful, and it's a perfect environment for the Enemy to insert fear, despair, and a litany of lies. I want to encourage each of you to hold fast to the words that our heavenly Father has spoken to you. I have spoken before about my bad tendency to obsess, worry, and over-analyze. I could write out every verse that battles anxiety, but it feels like I have a constant seed of worry that bursts into this grotesque, monstrous tree every so often.

Sometimes, the lifestyle of a SAHM feeds my anxiety problem. Yes, we're busy, but a lot of our time is spent doing mindless house chores, preparing food, or organizing something. We can be "working" while our minds spin out of control. To be honest, I don't have the remedy for this problem! But I do know that obsessiveness is rooted in the Enemy. I need to do a better job of recognizing thoughts that aren't of Him, and turning my attention to this verse. Our Lord has been screaming these words to me lately:

"Finally, sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things." Philippians 4:8

God is doing some amazing things in my family right now, but one certain trial, one potential earth-shattering disappointment, is looming. I don't mean to be cryptic, but I'm not ready to share the details. I will, sweet mommies. And through my story, I hope many of you are blessed by the evidence of His love amidst the storms. Clearly, I'm missing the great stuff God is doing because Satan wants to keep my attention on the hard stuff. It's a choice, mommies. It's a choice to protect our hearts so that we can be our best for our husbands and our children. I'm not at my best for the duties set before me when I'm obsessing in a cesspool of negativity. My prayer for each of us today is the verse above. Have a lovely day with your children, and remember to focus on those things that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, and praiseworthy :-)

1 comment:

  1. This was good advice for me. I tend to be a "cup is half empty" kind of person, even though I can point to many blessings I've been given. I obsess about all my "have-nots" and forget to acknowledge the "haves." Even though my husband is unemployed, we're not homeless. God gives us what we need, and I need to exercise gratitude for that. Thanks for this gentle reminder!

    ReplyDelete