Monday, September 9, 2013

Completion with Joy

Hello, sweet mommas! Have you ever had a period of time when you have been extra grumbly about something? Lately, I am extra grumbly about "homemaking." The word itself has annoyed me. I clearly understand that when my husband and I agreed to have me stay at home after the birth of our son, it meant that I would take over the logistical duties of keeping a house...cleaning, chores, laundry, paying bills, cooking, and Pinteresting :-) Well, really, if you want to enjoy living in the house you keep, you have to make it cute with projects! More on Pinterest later, though. I had an epiphany about the famed website this weekend.

But just as adults who work outside of the home go through "blah" times with their careers, I am a firm believer that it can happen to those of us in the home, as well. I've looked at my home lately and felt dread overwhelm me in my tasks of the day. Caleb has tossed oatmeal onto the floor for the 538th time, and I don't feel like scrubbing it on my hands and knees. While wood floors are desirable, they show dust bunnies like nobody's business...can I get an "amen" for carpet? At least the dirt is hidden better in the fibers :-) My windows are like something out of an old western movie with dust and dirt, there are cobwebs forming in the high corners, and the ease of cleaning our bathroom has disappeared with the introduction of BOY potty-training. Um...gross!

I say all of this not to complain, but to relate with you And, to preface my sweet kick in the pants I received from our heavenly Father last week. My devotional had taken me to Proverbs 31 for the week...yes, an entire week. Really, God? Super funny. Not only can I not stay on top of the bare minimum of homekeeping, but He has to show me the picture perfect example of a Godly wife and mother for seven days in a row! Well, several verses out of the Message version of the passage jumped out at me, and I want to discuss one of those today:

"She's skilled in the crafts of home and hearth, diligent in homemaking."

Again, God...hilarious! Here I am struggling with the desire to pick Cheerios up off of the floor, and You draw me to a passage of the ideal woman flitting around her home, whistling as she polishes the baseboards. Truly though, His character is never to poke fun at us. He was encouraging me. I am skilled in the crafts of home and hearth. I am diligent in homemaking. Not because I say so, but because He says so. These verses speak to each one of us as mothers. He isn't condemning us for not doing a good job caring for our homes. He is encouraging us to ask Him for the strength to do it. All He wants from us is joy and gratitude for the opportunity to work hard, care for our children, and care for the home He has lovingly provided. He wants to be involved in the day-to-day lives of raising young children...even wiping up "accidents" in the bathroom. No prayer is too small for God. Even if you must wake up each morning, during a rough spot, and pray to God for the desire to complete the tasks set before you, including cleaning your husband's dirty and sour-smelling Camelback, then ask Him to give you the time, give you the desire, give you the patience, and to give you joy.

Keeping a home is an odd job...full of joy and satisfaction, but also full of yuck. Trust me, having a bad attitude about it doesn't help your spirit, and it seeps into the souls of your family members. Don't shoot for perfection (a fault of mine), instead you should aim for completion with joy.

Check back next time for my tips on organizing our days, homekeeping included :-) Until then, go whistle while you wash the sheets :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment