Friday, December 7, 2012

Using Your Gifts with Your Children

Happy Friday! Sorry for my absence over the past two days. Little man caught a fever bug, and neither one of us slept more than four hours for two nights in a row. Kinda rough! I'm thankful to say he is up and running this morning, sans fever, and happily watching Thomas the Train. AND we both got 10+ hours of sleep last night. What a gift!!!

There were lots of things I hoped to accomplish this week, but I'm realizing that a sick child puts life on hold :-/ That's okay. He needed his momma, and I enjoyed the snuggle time. Speaking of all of the days where you wish you had accomplished more, enjoy this funny Friday picture...


We did keep up with our challenge, even though he didn't feel his best. I hope you're doing it! It will be so fun to look back on these photos and enjoy seeing the wonder of a child at Christmas.

December 5 - Even when they don't feel well, you can still drive around and look at Christmas lights! He will say, "Oh, wow!" over and over again. So cute!

December 6 - This may be my favorite thus far! He was fascinated by the tree in our dining room. I call it my "fun and formal" tree. It is a silver tree decorated with red, gold, and green ornaments. It's so fun to watch the amazement of a child!
December 7 - When he woke up this morning, he hurried to say "hi" to the Santa who sits on our staircase. He is in a petting stage right now!
I read a verse this week that felt very applicable to the life of a SAHM. Romans 11:29 says:

"...for God's gifts and His call are irrevocable."

I've read this verse before, but I never really grasped its meaning. The word irrevocable means not able to be changed, reversed, or recovered; final. After I focused on the meaning of that word, this verse amazed me! The gifts and talents which our heavenly Father bestows upon each one of us can never go away. And the journey for which He calls us to follow in life is determined before we take our first breath. That being said, when God called each of us to be mothers and blessed us with children, He knew that the gifts and talents given to us would be a blessing into the lives of the specific children we are raising! Sometimes, the life of a SAHM is monotonous, thankless, exhausting, belittled by society, and can even feel uncomfortable. I've spoken with several moms who feel like they weren't cut out to be a stay-at-home mom. These moms felt like they were crawling up the walls, they hated not being surrounded by other adults during the day, and they wondered if this was all there is to look forward to. Here is what I say...whatever Godly gifts and talents you were operating in before you had children, pray for God to teach you how to funnel those directly into your life as a SAHM.

For instance, my gifts of teaching, encouragement, and organization were used on a daily, if not hourly, basis as an elementary music teacher. I was happy and energized when I operated in those gifts with hundreds of children a day, but now I have the opportunity to focus those gifts onto one child each day. I'm a better mom when I am intentionally living in the way that God designed me to act. This verse is clearly saying that our gifts travel with us through the path which God has asked us to follow. Don't leave your gifts behind at your last job! Concentrate on using them as a mother to enrich the lives of your children and your husband (more on using your gifts with your husband next week!). 

Maybe you aren't sure what gifts you have been given? May I suggest two resources that are excellent, as well as studying about spiritual gifts and talents in the Word of God.
Strengths Finder 2.0 isn't about spiritual gifts, but after you buy the book and receive an access code, you take a test that will give you the top five areas that are strengths for you. It's very cool and informative, and I highly recommend it! My husband and I both did it, and it has helped us learn how to relate to one another in a healthier way, building on each other's strengths. Just FYI, mine are:
  1. Responsibility
  2. Activator
  3. Strategic
  4. Belief
  5. Discipline
Understanding your gifts and talents woven into your design by our Creator will allow you to better interact with everyone in your life, especially your children. Just because you aren't using your gifts in a corporate setting on a daily basis doesn't mean you aren't fully living as the woman God envisioned. You are the primary person who is molding the life of little people for eternity. What a job that is! Today, and everyday, be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment