Friday, October 12, 2012

Fabulous Fall!

Oh, sweet Fall...how I love you so! Personally, I find decorating for this season a pure joy. I had to promise myself that I would finish my dusting before I got to decorate. It was my reward! As I was delightfully arranging all of my pieces, I thought about the many great deals that produced my little pretties. Therefore, today's post is not really biblical, it's just fun :-)


It's true that I have a passion for decorating...especially when the decor costs almost nothing! As a woman, a wife, and mom, I feel that it is my responsibility to create a home that is peaceful, inviting, relaxing, and enjoyable. Does my husband flip over our Fall wreath? Not so much. But, happy wife, happy life...right?! He knows that I love to do it, so he sweetly obliges me when I inform him that the Fall fairy has arrived for the year. I hope you can get some great ideas from these pictures, and feel free to share your Fall decorations and ideas in the comments section below! I do plan to create another wreath and a porch display with our pumpkins in the next week. I will post those pictures when they are done! Happy Autumn to you and your families :-)



I found pumpkin place mats at Pier 1 a few years ago on clearance (maybe $2 a piece?)...make sure to check the kid sections for pieces you can use more formally.

Please excuse the wrinkled table cloth! I purchased these candle sticks from a garage sale, and then the candles from Walmart. They are unscented as to not over-power the food! Weave a leaf garden through the candles and let the leaves fall where they may. I love to layer, so play with table cloths, place mats, and decorative plates to pick up the colors from your centerpiece(s). I found these plates on clearance for 99 cents a piece at our local grocery store last year!

Sparkly pumpkins will always make me smile. Arrange them like a "pumpkin patch," and enjoy how they sparkle when you light the candles. These were purchased in a post-Fall clearance sale at Hobby Lobby three years ago.

Another view of the "pumpkin patch!"

One of my dear friends, who is an interior decorator, taught me that pieces always look the best in groups of an odd number...1 single piece, or 3, 5, etc. I do splurge on pumpkin scented soaps from Bath and Body Works every year, but you can find great coupons online for that store. Yankee Candle also has a BOGO1/2 coupon pretty regularly on the Coupons App for iPhone, or you can just ask for them as gifts :-) Candles make me oh-so-happy! The Fall cross was another Hobby Lobby clearance find. Love that store!

Find an inexpensive Fall towel at the grocery store, Walmart, etc., and liven up your bathroom. Mini-wreaths to surround candles are frequently at garage sales or thrift stores.

We aren't really into Halloween, so this is the most Halloween-y thing I put up. It was given to me by a family member, and I thought it was pretty cute (and free!). Try and find pieces that compliment each other...for example, the multiple jack-o-lantern items seem to belong in a decoration group.

This is our TV mantle that simply has a pumpkin candle (bought for $2 at the grocery store) and a flower arrangement that I display all year. And yes, that plant needs a drink!

An up-close view of the arrangement shows a Fall sprig stuck in the middle to add some orange and brown color. These can be found for super cheap at any hobby stores.

My sister-in-law, Liz, has an amazing crocheting gift! For those of you who also have that gift (I do not!), find inexpensive Fall towels and add a holder loop and button to the top. The towels look great in the kitchen, and the little ones can't pull them off!

So smart, Liz!

This, my Fall pride and joy, sits in the middle of our kitchen island. I couldn't get a great picture, so I moved it to the floor for its photo shoot. I purchased the metal pumpkin shell with the colorful ball accents from a craft fair two years ago. I believe it was $20. It was a splurge, but I loved it. I found the candle on sale at Hobby Lobby, set the whole thing on a moss-covered charger, and then put that on a green place mat to bring out the green accents. Again, I love to layer. Try it and see what you can come up with!

Fall clearance at Bed, Bath, and Beyond had a lot of these arrangements with darling orange bows. This pumpkin candle was found, with a pair, for $3 at TJMaxx last year. I broke my rule...this needs a third item in the arrangement, doesn't it?!

Again, another candle with a mini-wreath surrounding it. Put it on a Fall-colored place mat, and it's an arrangement that can stand on its own.

If you have pictures of your kids in holiday-themed outfits, frame them in an inexpensive frame (garage sales, clearance bins, etc.), and pack them away each year with your holiday decorations. Then, you can pull them out and enjoy them once a year instead of getting tired of looking at the same frames all year long!

This was another Hobby Lobby find before I got married...so more than five years ago. Find Fall-colored tea light candles (their little holders are in the dishwasher!), and alternate the colors around a flower arrangement. Use a place mat to give it more dimension.

This is my husband's favorite decoration. I found this mug at a garage sale for 50 cents. It's sitting atop a plate (this one was 49 cents!) from that grocery store score I found last year. Buy Fall-themed napkins after Thanksgiving each year and pull them out to use for the next round of holidays. I fill this mug with candy corn, orange and brown M&Ms, etc. Just keep re-filling it as they get eaten...it's a fun thing to have as a treat in our kitchen.

Replace a piece of art with a decoration. I have a third quote plaque that typically hangs in the middle, but I simply removed that and put up another Hobby Lobby clearance find for some added decor in the bathroom.

Need a way to spruce up a wreath? Get another strand of decorative leaves, and wrap it around a boring wreath. This one is fine, but I've tired of it after five years (although the cheap price tag made it worth it!). It will hang on our front door until the new one is made!


I hope you have enjoyed the tour through our Fall home. Feel free to copy any ideas if you think they could work in your home. Today and everyday, be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment