Saturday, October 6, 2012

Our Man's Need for Playdates


Happy funny Saturday (sorry that I missed Friday!)! Two things make me giggle about this picture. First of all, I can't remember the last time my husband was happily washing dishes while I was chatting on the phone. Second, I will just assume this is after dinner. If your child is like my child, post-dinner to bed-time is his least happiest time of the day. If only he would sit and joyfully play with blocks. Usually, Caleb is trying to crawl up the leg of the closest parent while holding this shrill whining pitch for what seems like an endless amount of time. But, I will let you know when the above scene is played out next at the McNamee home! Here's to hoping :-)

The thing that does not strike me as funny about this picture is the honesty. The honesty that our husbands absolutely need "play dates," and the honesty that sometimes we are the ones who have to set them up. I know my husband works extremely hard to provide a life which allows me to stay at home with our son. I am so grateful for his sacrifice. One may argue that "well, my husband doesn't have to do his job 24/7, so he needs to help with the children when he is at home." No, he doesn't do his job 24/7, but honestly, neither do we. The good Lord created a baby's need for lots of sleep to grow and heavenly afternoon naps for a reason! We must allow and insist on play time for our husbands. Male friendships and alone time are crucial for our husbands to rejuvenate, refresh, miss us, and hear from the Lord.

It is a sacrifice. My husband travels nearly 75% of the time. The last thing I want to do is send him out the door when he's home...mainly because I miss him, but also because I feel like I should be the one who gets the break. But, the change that happens in his attitude and behavior towards us is remarkable when he has had a few hours to wind down. While it may make the present time more difficult, a happy husband after three hours of mountain biking makes for a much more enjoyable evening! While I have a mile-long honey-do list for the weekend, a church retreat with his Christian brothers is much more beneficial to his soul than blowing out the sprinkler system.

This has not always been our habit, and since I have decided to make a conscious effort to gift my husband is alone/man-friend time, his love towards me has multiplied. I don't mean to say that we should do this so he'll push us out the door towards a movie and dinner with our friends (it has happened!), but when your husband sees that you desire for him to relax and play, my experience is that he understands the deeper meaning. You love him, you appreciate all he does to provide for your family, and you want to give him a sacrificial blessing. Try this. The next evening he arrives home from work, tell him his bike is ready to go in the garage, you and your mommy friends have arranged a beer-tasting evening for him and the other husbands, or you are taking the children to the library so he can have a few hours to unwind by himself at home. Watch what happens! This isn't rocket science, mommies...as precious as our men are, they really aren't that complicated. Give them respect, give them love, and give them room to be by themselves or with friends. It will build up your marriage and, in the long run, be a beautiful blessing for us as wives and mothers.

Let me know how your experiment goes!

I hope your "30 Days of Play" is going well. Mine is actually kind of fun! Feel free to posts comments on our challenge. Also, I issued another challenge a few days ago of being sure we have evidence of US, the mommy, in our children's precious first months/years. I shared the story I have had over the past ten months with my face, and while it is not completely healed, my son deserves some pictures with his mom. Here is my tribute to that post.


I will continue posting MMSM and OT as they come to me. Could I finally be out of ways we attempt to be organized cheap-os?!? I don't think so. As I discover more, I will share them directly with you. Today and everyday, be blessed :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment