Saturday, January 19, 2013

Fear in the Night

Welcome back! Though I am a huge supporter of putting in some effort to dressing ourselves in the morning, especially as SAHMs, let's face it. It doesn't always happen :-) Because of that fact, I have a funny picture to share with you today...

As I mentioned in an earlier post, my son and I are spending some time with Grandma in Kansas right now. We were preparing to go out for a day of yummy lunch and shopping, and I actually uttered the words..."Mom, do you care if I just wear my yoga pants?" Here is my mom, dressing up while excitedly getting ready to take her daughter out for the day, and I can't even muster up the energy to put on jeans. In my defense, I was having a bloated day. But, still! The "yoga pants should only be worn to yoga" thing has not burned into my brain, yet :-)

During the night, something woke me up, and I laid there for nearly an hour with heavy anxiety. Tell me if this sounds like you...God gives you a promise about something, clear as day, packed with truth and faith, and you could shout it from the roof tops all day long. Then, nighttime comes. There is something about the night, the stillness, the isolation that pushes our minds and spirits spiraling toward the dreaded feelings of doubt, questioning God, and actually contemplating the truth of the words from the Evil One. Truly, I don't have much of a problem believing my God all day long. But as soon as I'm awoken from a deep sleep in the middle of the night, it's like my belief in His words and promises flies out the window. I don't think I'm crazy. Check this out...

"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms." Ephesians 6:12 (emphasis added)

Satan loves to attack our peace, especially at night. He loves to prowl around in the darkness, both figuratively as in spiritual darkness, and literally as in be-on-your-guard at night darkness. Because we are children of God, we have the spiritual authority to send him fleeing in the name of Jesus Christ. We are given this power over ourselves and and our children. I also believe that while your husband is the spiritual leader of the home, we are called to pray for protection for his physical and spiritual life, as well.

All of this sounds well and good until you're shivering with fear under your covers at two in the morning. Last night, I finally quit allowing my mind to continue its ride on the roller coaster of doom, and I opened the Bible app on my phone. I looked at the scripture of the day, and He gave me a loving word from heaven that was totally applicable to my current freak out. I think my lesson of the day is that we have to remember where to go immediately when we are feeling anxious. I want to leave you with this passage below. I pray that it washes over your souls, and those of your family, with love and gentleness. Be blessed, mommies!

"Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that He may life you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you. Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith..." 2 Peter 5:6-9

No comments:

Post a Comment