Friday, January 11, 2013

The Beatitudes, minus "Bible-talk"

Ever read a bit of scripture that you are completely familiar with, and then God reveals something fresh and exciting to you? This morning, I was reading Matthew 5 in The Message. I've read this chapter many times, but this was one of my first times reading it in this version.

On a sidenote, this translation of scripture was written by a man named Eugene Peterson. In church last Sunday, our pastor shared a bit of history about this particular version of the Bible. Eugene Peterson is a scholar who reads, writes, and speaks Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic, and English. He took his God-given talents and paraphrased the entire Bible, old and new testament, in order to word it in a way which would speak to people unfamiliar with "Bible-talk," specifically drug addicts. I didn't know the history of The Message, but I do know that Eugene's powerful gift has helped me to better understand passages of the Bible which I previously skipped over in confusion. If there is a verse you are having a hard time grasping, Google the same verse in The Message translation. You may really be blessed by what you find!

So this morning, I came across the Beatitudes in Matthew 5. The Message portrays the words of Jesus in a clear and beautiful way. Be encouraged by this today, mommies...

1 - You're blessed when you're at the end of your rope. With less of you there is more of God and His rule.
 2 - You're blessed when you feel you've lost what is most dear to you. Only then can you be embraced by the One most dear to you.
3 - You're blessed when you're content with just who you are--no more, no less. That's the moment you find yourselves proud owners of everything that can't be bought.
4 - You're blessed when you've worked up a good appetite for God. He's food and drink in the best meal you'll ever eat.
5 - You're blessed when you care. At the moment of being 'care-full,' you find yourselves cared for.
6 - You're blessed when you get your inside world--your mind and heart--put right. Then you can see God in the outside world.
7 - You're blessed when you can show people how to cooperate instead of compete or fight. That's when you discover who you really are, and your place in God's family.
8 - You're blessed when your commitment to God provokes persecution. The persecution drives you even deeper into God's kingdom.
Matthew 5:3-10

I thought #7 was beautifully fitting for the life of a mother with multiple children. Isn't it true that we are to show our children how to cooperate and love one another, by modeling and teaching? Right now, motherhood is our role in God's family. We have many others, many hats that we wear, but when God blesses us with a child, He is asking for our whole hearts and minds to be lovingly focused on preparing that child for their role in God's kingdom. Through the great days and the not-so-great days.

Finally, when thinking about the many ways in which God has blessed us, let's not forget how we are blessed in the less than perfect packages...namely the ways listed above. Sometimes, He blesses us through trials. I look back over 2012 and can now consider my health difficulties and scares a tremendous blessing, although it sure was hard to see it in the midst of the situation. I can't think of one single year of my 30 years on this planet when He drew me closer to Him than this past year. It was scary, it was frustrating, it was exhausting, but it forced me to lean on Him and His plan for my health and my life. For that, I am blessed.

Today, and everyday, be blessed!

BTW, I updated the GTWTHot Deals page today with a blurb about our local Target this is closing. Check it out, CS mommies!

No comments:

Post a Comment