Thursday, May 10, 2012

Empowering the Stay-at-Home Mom

As I was prayerfully considering what to write this morning, a verse jumped out at me that I want to share with each woman reading this blog.  Philippians 1:9-10 reads, 


"And this is my prayer; that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ..."  


Discerning what is best is a gift given to us by the Lord.  He chose to give us free will.  He could have designed all creatures in the universe to be completely controlled by Him every waking minute.  But, he didn't!  We get to make choices in our lives every year, every day, every hour, every second.  If we consult with the Lord and we receive confirmation that we are acting in His will for our life and the lives of our family members, then He assures blessings will be given in return.  If we choose to make decisions flippantly without ever thinking to ask Him for guidance, you can be assured that a tremendous lack of blessings will ensue.  Love the Lord, love learning about Him, learn His principles to live by and requests of us as long as we reside on this earth, and then learn how to make wise decisions using the knowledge He faithfully gives through His Word, fellowship with other believers, and life experiences.


If you are currently a stay-at-home mom that came into this profession by choice, then you (and your husband, hopefully) made a choice.  Perhaps you were like me and after studying the Word, spending time in prayer, and waiting for Him to give undeniable guidance and confirmation, you knew that you should work in the home as a wife and mother.  Perhaps, like me, you then experienced negative reactions from friends and family.  Things like, "Really, you're giving up your career to stay at home?" or "What will you do with all of your extra time?" or "Why did you get your degree only to quit five years later?"  Maybe the comments weren't that direct.  Maybe you heard, "Well, that's good for you, but I'm choosing to focus on my career."  Or, possibly you felt a little embarrassed sharing your "good news."  I remember several people whom I dreaded telling about my new plans.  Here is the bottom line.  Why are some women embarrassed or ashamed about this profession that WE choose???


We have explored all of Proverbs 31 and many other scriptures encouraging a mother to stay at home and raise her children while they are young.  If you are a believer and are peacefully satisfied while working in the home, then YOU are operating in God's will for your life!  That's something to celebrate!  That is not something to sheepishly share with powerful career women who cross your path.  You are also a powerful career woman.  You are in the career of full-time child-rearing.  To be very honest, and I do hope some of you share this feeling, I feel more alive and on the right path of my life now then I ever did as a teacher.  Does that mean that I was wrong to earn my degree and teach elementary music for five years?  Not at all.  But, do I consider it part of my preparation for working in the home?  Absolutely.


Though I was a well-trained and invested music teacher, the truth is that there are many well-trained and invested music teachers in the world.  It doesn't negate my particular placement with those particular children for that time of my life, but it does prove a point that I was replaceable.  The students are still learning, music programs are being produced, and I guarantee singing is still happening on a daily basis.  Here's the point I feel led to share today...am I replaceable with my son whom God chose specifically to give to me?  Are you replaceable as the mother for your individually unique child/children?  Luke 12:7 reads, 


"Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered.  Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows."  


If he knows the number of hairs on every single person's head, then he surely fit the unique child with the perfect set of parents.  To me, that is incredible!


Celebrate this profession.  Revel in the opportunity to spend the majority of time raising your children.  Speak it proudly to others when they ask what you do.  And finally, spend time with the Lord and His Word learning how to defend this God-given calling.  I will close with Philippians 2:4 today.  


"Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others."  


Is there any other way to describe what we do all day long?  Praise God for the chance to live out one of the greatest jobs on this planet.  He chose you to choose this job by sending your sweet child/children down from heaven.  Be blessed :-)

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, Kindra, I'm crying! What sweet affirmations. And thanks for the push to renew my mind with His Word.

    ReplyDelete