Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Finances - Time to Talk about Tithing

Today, I'm going to continue speaking on the financial aspects that have brought us into the possibility of this lifestyle, but first, I want to start something new! No matter what the topic of the day might be, I think it is so important to remember to celebrate the joys of stay-at-home mommyhood (SAHM...are you getting that I love acronyms?!). My plan is to share my own loves of staying at home, as well as to share comments left by readers of the blog. Today's SAHM joy comes from Melissa. She delights in the fact that:
We can actually sleep in and nap together, whenever. 
I don't have to leave my LO at daycare.
I got to be the recipient of her first eye contact smile!
Always remember that no matter how hard the day might be, the little joys are enough to get us through it! Be sure to leave your favorite thing about staying at home on the Poll #1 posting.

The three T's (tithing, talking, and trying) are essential for a healthy financial family. Over the next few days, I will talk about each one. In our (my husband and myself) opinion, they are all equal, they are all necessary, and they are all scripture-based. If your family is struggling financially, and let's face it, many of us are right now, then I hope you will consider talking and praying with your husband on the scriptures I will post for this week. They are powerful. They are life-changing. And, they may just be the ticket you need to staying at home and making it work for your family.

When we were engaged, my husband and I did not agree on tithing. Being a money hoarder (my loving term for my obsessively saving husband), he felt like saving the money or paying off debt was of better use than putting it in the offering box. I felt morally and spiritually convicted that tithing was a command from the Lord, and I couldn't fathom not doing it once we married. I've heard many well-meaning Christians state that tithing is an Old Testament idea. True that it is discussed often in the Old Testament, but giving is discussed abundantly in the New Testament; that is, the lessons taught by Jesus Christ, the Son of God, and His many disciples who followed after His death on the cross and His resurrection.

The word "tithe" actually means to give 1/10 of your income. In many cases in the Bible, that means someone would have given 1/10 of their livestock or grains to support the priests and eventually, the church. Unless you are a farmer, and your church appreciates animals and baskets of wheat walking through the door on Sunday morning, you and your family are probably looking at giving a portion of your income to the church. Honestly, people can get very legalistic about tithing. God is a god of love. Jesus Christ, God's Son, came to this earth to teach others how to love. To give is to love. Deuteronomy 16:17 says,

"Every man shall give as he is able, according to the blessing of the Lord your God that He has given you."

After much talking and praying together and separately, my husband and I agreed that we would tithe together. This didn't happen overnight. It didn't happen without arguments (which I do not recommend), but the point is, it did happen. We now happily give to the church and to other charities that we feel strongly about. Please hear this, ladies. You cannot make your husband give. 2 Corinthians 9:7 says, 

"Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver." (emphasis added)

If you force your husband to tithe, you will deal with resentment, anger, and frustration over money. Instead, pray for the Lord to change your husband's heart. In the mean time, I recommend giving a portion of your "fun money"...money that each of you gets to spend each month without having to consult with one another.

How much you tithe is a private matter between you and God. The concept of tithing, however, shouldn't be so taboo. It is commanded in His Word, we should all encourage each other to give generously, as each one is able, and to top it all off, God promises wonderful blessings when He sees you sacrificially choosing to give abundantly. Malachi 3:10 beautifully says,

"Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the Lord Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it." (emphasis added)

That doesn't sound like such a bad thing! Test the Lord your God in this. Even if you are struggling financially, choose (with your husband) to give just a little, cheerfully, and see if He doesn't provide what you need. I say this standing only on the Word of God. This is not a promise from me to you, but it is a promise from Him in His Word. Also, remember that he knows the hearts of every man and woman. Make sure your heart is right, ask Him to provide what you need (not that Coach purse you want...), and trust that your Provider will come through on all of His promises.

To wrap up, I chose to devote an entire post to the one aspect of tithing since it is such a cornerstone in our family. Remember that each family has their own personal financial situation, but God asks all of us to give, and to give generously. Your family should do what your family can do, trusting in the Lord to meet your needs and to bless you in the ways that He sees fit. He is such a loving God, and He wants desperately to bless all of us in our finances. We have to be willing to meet him half way. Join me tomorrow as I discuss good financial communication, and what the Lord has taught (and is continuing to teach ) us in this area. Be blessed today!

No comments:

Post a Comment