Thursday, May 31, 2012

Teaching and Learning to Obey

Good morning! A SAHM joy that I want to share today is...
I have more time to do things now than ever before. What?!? Stay with me for a minute. When I worked outside the home, with commute, I was gone upwards of 10 hours per day, sometimes more. Often times, I would bring work home, there were inevitable household duties to take care of, I wanted to spend time with my husband, there were always errands to run, and I enjoyed being out and about with friends. Now that the majority of my time is spent at home with my son, I have the flexibility to choose how we spend our days. Yes, he requires a ton of care, but kids are also mobile and time flexible! Nap times are a precious bit of the day where I can explore other things I'm interested in (like writing!) while balancing household chores. I leisurely am up doing my quiet time and spending time with the Lord before everyone else wakes...before kiddos, this time was devoted to getting ready for work. At night, instead of preparing for my work day, I can relax and calmly spend time with my husband after our son goes to bed. You see, the Lord knows that mommas need rest and rejuvenation when we stay at home with our children. He is faithful to give that to us. Not every day, but He does give just enough to strengthen and encourage us :-)

As I've been studying His Word and my devotionals lately, the word obey has come up time and time again. As a previous teacher, I was surprised that this word was not used in the school setting. I grew up with it in the home, I understood what it meant, and I thought it was commonly used among adults and kids. Google defines obey as 
  • to comply with the command, direction, or request of (a person or law)
  • to submit to the authority of
Many times you will hear parents say, "You need to listen," or "Please follow directions" or "Do as you're told to do." Personally, as a mommy, I think the phrase, "You will obey me," needs to make a comeback! It's short, simple, to-the-point, and an extremely powerful and spiritual way of parenting our sweet babies. The second definition of obey talks about submitting to authority. As parents, I strongly feel that the Lord wants us to instill a firm example of authority in our children's lives. Our pastor frequently says, "How will my children learn to listen to the Lord if I don't teach them how to listen to their mother and me?" It isn't just a suggestion, it's a responsibility.

My son is in an imitation stage right now. If I'm eating, he wants to eat. If I'm planting flowers, he wants to pull them out and put them somewhere else. If I'm singing or dancing, he does it back. While it is so precious, it also makes me keenly aware that he watches everything. I don't want to be a parent who talks the talk, but doesn't walk the walk. I want my son to learn from my example. I will make mistakes and have to ask for his forgiveness while re-directing him, but I can make a prayerful effort towards showing Godly behaviors that I desire for him to repeat. He needs to grow up seeing his father and I obeying the Lord.

Two times in John 14, and in many other areas throughout the bible, Jesus talks about obeying.

"If you love me, you will obey what I command." John 14:15

"...If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching." John 14:23

We first must learn how to obey God, and then we can wholeheartedly teach our children to obey with a love for us. As parents, we desire for our children to love us and to obey us. The Father desires the same from each one of us. Ask the Lord to reveal where obedience may be lacking your life. For me, I often let anxiety and fear overshadow the peace that can only come from Him. If I were to consciously obey Him in this area, I could meditate daily on the verses,

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34

"Cast your cares on the Lord and He will sustain you; He will never let the righteous fall." 
Psalm 55:22

Remember, all mommies are a work in progress. We will never be perfect, but we can ask God for guidance in how to obey Him and in how to teach our children to obey us, and ultimately to obey Him. I encourage each of you to pray and ask God what area in your life needs stronger obedience from you. Is he asking you to stop your career and to stay home with your children? Is he asking you to do a better job in showing submission to your husband as the leader of the household, just as you are asked to submit to the Father? Is He asking you to turn to His Word to look for answers on a particular challenge you are dealing with in your parenting? He is here to help us every minute of every day. Just as I listed verses about anxiety and fear, do a simple search in Google (love modern-day technology!) for scripture on _________. You decide with the Lord what it is you need to work on. He is faithful.  

"And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue His work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns." Philippians 1:6

Because God is so good and loves us so much, He gives a promise for obedience to Him. John 14:27 says...

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."

Amen to that! Be blessed, mommies :-)

Today's couponing entry will be entered during nap time this afternoon. Be sure to check back!

No comments:

Post a Comment