Friday, June 1, 2012

Debt Freedom!

Good morning! Today's SAHM joy came to mind as I was just putting my son back to bed!
As a SAHM mom, we get to be really flexible. Honestly, flexibility isn't my strongest character trait, but the Lord is using mommyhood to teach me how to live and give with a little bit of grace...not everyone needs to be schedule-crazy all of the time. When my son woke up and we did a bit of our morning routine, he was rubbing his eyes and really fussy. If I was running out the door to work with him in tow, the option of going back down wouldn't be possible. Because I stay at home with him, we adjust our day to what he needs and what I desire to get done. I think we both appreciate that :-)

We have exciting news to share today! No, we aren't pregnant. Don't you love that any "exciting news" you want to announce in this season of life is inevitably expected to be about another child?! Sometimes I throw the "exciting news" phrase around just to get a rise out of people :-) Give us a break, though. He's only ten months old!

Yesterday, we made a hefty payment to Nelnet student loans and I can joyfully say that, other than our mortgage, we are debt free!!! While I'm so excited to share this with each reader, please know my heart. This is not to brag or to ask for praise. This is simply about sharing that we used the tools provided to us by the Lord and the various financial studies we've done to get rid of debt that we no longer wish to drag around with us. When the time comes that you can declare debt freedom, you should shout it from the roof tops! While debt is an acceptable part of our society, my husband and I (along with many others) feel that this is wrong and counter to God's teaching. 

"The rich rules over the poor, and borrower is the slave of the lender." Proverbs 22:7

We don't want to be anyone's slave. We want to be servants for the Lord!

Mortgage debt is a bit tricky. You always will need a place to live, and the interest is tax-deductible. If the housing market rallies again, you can expect to make money on a future sale of your home. Don't quote me on that. Our economy is unstable, clearly, and the only One you can truly put your hope and trust in is our God. While it would be lovely to have our home paid off, that isn't feasible right now. That way we see it? You either have a rent payment or a mortgage payment. We are celebrating the fact that other than a monthly payment to Chase for a roof over our heads, we get to choose how income is saved, given, and spent. We're also really looking forward to what the Lord holds in our financial future!

Imagine the peace in your home over finances if you only had mortgage debt...no student loans, no car payments, no credit cards. Talk about a weight off your husband's shoulders and a skip in your step as you decide to stay at home with your children. Like I mentioned at the very beginning of this blog, the number one reason I hear for a mother to continue working outside the home is money. When you cut out your debt, you have the freedom to tell each dollar where it will be spent each month (a famous Dave Ramsey saying!). Using the MMSM that I post, along with ways you have learned to cut spending, staying at home becomes less like a dream and more like a possible reality. That is exciting stuff!

As you embark on this weekend, and you either feel your heart turning towards the home and taking care of your children full-time or you are absolutely ready to make the step in faith towards the lifestyle, decide to get real with your husband and your finances. I can't recommend Dave Ramsey's teachings enough. There is a link to his home page on the right column of this blog. Commit together to pay off your debt. Know that it will probably be a lengthy process full of frustrations (but sooo worth it!), and get ready to enjoy a new level of freedom with your husband, your children, and your Lord.

Due to an unforeseen busy day yesterday, I did not get to continue my couponing post. I will post more tips later today, and the coupon week will be wrapped up by tomorrow (Saturday) evening.

Be blessed, mommies!

No comments:

Post a Comment