Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Reinventing Ourselves

Hello! Today's SAHM joy is a success in discipline...
Since my son has learned to pull himself up on everything, the edge of the bath tub is no exception. Naturally, I see this as a danger. I estimate we have had the constant climbing on the side of the tub followed by a firm "no, we sit" from me no less than 10 to 15 baths. Yesterday, during bath time, he went to do it immediately upon entering the tub, and I followed with my record-player response. What do you know?!? He turned, looked at me, and sat down!!! He kept trying it and each time I gave my direction, he kept following it! Has this taken care of all naughty behavior? That would be a big, NO! But, it's the little steps that encourage me and teach my son!

Awhile back, during a MOPS group, I was discussing the new-found career of the SAHM with a friend. She said something that I will never forget. After doing the corporate job for many years, she decided to stay at home with her two children. She learned quickly that she had to "re-invent" herself. I could not agree more.

Being an elementary teacher, I was fortunate to slide into my new career with more ease than difficulty. I finished out the school year at 31 weeks pregnant, had two months to prepare for my son's arrival (and rest!), then we welcomed him at the end of July. The summer felt normal to me, as I had taught for five years. For women who work until they deliver, and then they decide to not return to the office but instead stay at home with their precious one, that is a wonderful change. It is also a big enough change to give you whip lash!

Every family will have their own bumps and bruises as everyone adjusts to Mom being the full-time house and home manager, but I have found the most important thing is to not rush this new chapter. Let it unfold as naturally as you can. At first, I simply was getting used to a baby! Then, I was getting used to finding ways to stay my same "busybody" self, but to integrate my son into my life. Next, I realized that everything ran more smoothly if I just went with his schedule...I was merely a guest at the Caleb show. After four or five months, I realized that I was getting the hang of the SAHM thing. I felt confident that I was adequately taking care of and playing with my son, while keeping up with the house, and nurturing relationships for me, my son, and my husband. This glove fit. It felt great! Now what...

I then went through a phase of, "is this all there is?" I can't simply be 100% Mom and Wife for the rest of my life. I started to freak out, I thought about going back to teaching, and I got scared that we made the wrong decision. Here is where the Lord gently led my mind and spirit...

I felt Him say that I am still the same Kindra that I was before I had my son and before I decided to be a SAHM. I have the same gifts and talents. I have the same goals and desires. And, I truly do want to follow God's will for my life. But now, I needed to lean on Him to figure out how to use all of that while serving my son and husband full-time.

During my teaching career, I prided myself on an organized and color-coordinated classroom. Now, I apply that to our home and to my son's clothes, toys, and activities. Necessary? No. Part of who I am? Yes. My husband and I have learned and put many financial stewardship methods into practice. Little did I know how much I can apply those methods to staying at home (and then them sharing with you!). I absolutely loved the social interaction with the staff at my school. I now make it a priority for my son AND for me to have lots of social interactions throughout the week with lots of different people. Clearly, from my career choice, I enjoyed teaching. I naturally like teaching my son all sorts of things, and I love how his amazing ability to learn keeps me on my toes! Here is another thing...

I never, ever thought I would write. The thought never crossed my mind, it was never a passion in school, and I would say I am only an occasional reader. I feel like the Lord specifically prepared me to being writing spiritually encouraging words to other women, especially other moms. I consider this blog to be His encouragement through my words. I hope you know how encouraging it is to me, spiritually, to sit down and take the time to pray about my topics, find scripture, and then ask God to give me the right words to express what I have learned to others. This is a perfect example of God taking who I already was and helping me re-invent myself for a new stage in life.

While I often write about my son and husband, this actually has little to do with them! This is mine. This is something I look forward to as a "Kindra" thing. And, I think that is necessary for us to have as moms. I don't think God envisions us to focus 100% on anything that isn't Him. That includes our husband and our children. He designed each of us with a myriad of gifts and talents that He can mold to use in different ways all throughout our lives. I love that about Him. I encourage each woman reading this, especially if you're feeling bogged down by the monotony of SAHMommyness, to pray and ask our heavenly Father how you can use the gifts and talents that you have in a way to glorify Him? Maybe even something that's just for you! 

Jess Brown did it! The topic of this entire post was inspired while I was mindlessly listening to the Today Show in the background yesterday morning. Check out this story!

Jess Brown, a California mom, started stitching good old-fashioned rag dolls. Now, her craft has turned into a money-maker. Ad exec Donny Deutsch talks about how she turned her dreams into reality:

Now, I'm not saying that every hobby you choose to pursue will bring in money. Could it? Absolutely! Wouldn't our husbands be oh so grateful for that! I have no idea where this blog may lead. I've had thoughts about writing a devotional book for SAHM's or writing a money-tips book with my husband for young families. Ultimately, I'll leave this journey up to the Lord. But, I do know that when I write, I feel like I'm operating in a place that He has called me to. I pray that each of you might find that place for yourself. Yes, we are moms. Yes, many of us are wives. But ultimately, we are a daughter of Christ blessed with amazing gifts and talents. Ask him how to use yours. Be blessed, mommies!

MMSM #26


Have you noticed how expensive fast food has become lately? We have started to take full advantage of the dollar menu! I used a picture from Arby's, but all of the chain fast food restaurants have one. Unless you have a coupon for a meal (and do make sure it's a better deal than purchasing a la carte), we use the value menu. You typically can get a sandwich of some sort, a side, and drink for $3. Yes, it's a smaller portion, but who needs all of those extra calories. Also, think about splitting with your husband. Again, calories saved and you can act out Lady and the Tramp together :-) Second tip for today...check your local sit-down restaurants for kids nights! Many chain restaurants have a night where kids eat free with the purchase of an adult meal. If you have a large brood, this can save some serious moolah! Happy eating!


Tip #14


Because I had our son via c-section, I had a hard time managing the stairs for a couple of weeks after he was born. We decided to put a pack 'n' play in the downstairs living room to be used as a changing table, since his nursery is upstairs. Then, I decided to use it as a store-all to keep baby things away from the dogs. It's purpose has morphed along with my growing son, and it is now the changing table/books and toys to keep baby occupied as I pack the diaper bag/out-the-door items (shoes, hats, jackets, blankets, burp cloths, etc.). This way, other than toys, his items are all in one place, and I'm not constantly running up and down the stairs as we're trying to get out the door. By the way, we picked this one up for $50 at a consignment sale!

1 comment:

  1. So very well said! I love this, Kindra. I agree... moms need something that is all their own. It took me 6 years to realize that, but it's true! Just like you, writing is something I do that is just for me. I've also gotten into photography for that reason. It makes such a difference in my life (and mothering).

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts. What a great post.

    ReplyDelete