Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Learning to Hope

Good morning, my friends! Today's SAHM joy is about the home...
I used to dread household chores. When my husband and I worked the same amount of hours, I felt that we should contribute the same amount of effort to the house. Often times, he was reluctant to help, and this caused major turmoil in our home. Now that my job is at the home, this turmoil has evaporated! I have asked God to daily change my heart towards loving my home and desiring to keep it clean and well-functioning. I feel that it is my responsibility now, and I am learning to take joy in caring for the home. Do I still hate cleaning bathrooms? Of course...but at least I have more time and flexibility to do it now. A tip? Check Pinterest for amazing tips and tricks for fast and easy cleaning, especially those pesky bathrooms!

As I awoke this morning and prepared to start my day, I really missed my husband. He travels at least 50% of the time for work and he's gone, again, for the week. When he accepted this position, the traveling was said to be capped at 25%, but we have found that he is called away much more than we had ever expected. We feel stuck! Other than the time away, this is a wonderful job where he is allowed to fully use his skills, the salary and benefits are an incredible blessing, and he is establishing his career with a prominent international company. But, what is the toll? Thankfully, our son doesn't realize that Daddy is leaving each week. Of course, he knows he's gone, but he can't verbalize or even emotionalize that he will miss him. Eventually, that will change. My husband's heart aches to be here for the many childhood milestones, he desires to enjoy the house and the life which he works so hard to provide, and he is longing to have the time for investment in male friendships. I say all of this not to throw a pity party, but to support a verse the Lord showed me this morning.

"For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he already has? But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for in patiently." Romans 8:24-25

God intentionally uses difficult situations to build our capacity for hope and for patience. Imagine if we had everything we have ever asked for (can I get an "Amen" for the unanswered prayers for boyfriends we thought we were in love with in high school?!?). Imagine if you didn't have to hope for anything. Instant gratification...just like our world expects. Why, then, would we need our Lord? If he was just an ATM of sorts who immediately provided us with all that we wanted, we would surely never learn to love Him as He so desires. It is not His job to make our lives easy while we are on this planet. It is our job to let Him sanctify us to become more and more like Jesus Christ until He decides that our time here is finished. He speaks often in His Word about constantly striving to improve ourselves with His strength.

"For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love." 2 Peter 1:5-7

While that sounds like a tall order, He is gentle and merciful in His teaching, always. In following His ways of spiritual growth, He promises this:

"For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Peter 1:8

Here is my point...the struggles that He allows us to go through only strengthen our relationship with Him, if we let them. Of course, it would be so much more comfortable to not endure any hardships. But, I believe that a life of pure comfort can not provide growth for me, or for anyone, as a person. It's difficult to remember this when I go to, yet again, another event without my husband. But, it also allows me to become more and more compassionate...for military moms who's husbands are absent for months at a time, for moms who have lost their children's father permanently, or even for moms who's husband is physically present, but emotionally a million miles away.

We shouldn't compare hurt to hurt. We all hurt in different ways, and we all long for different things at different times. God doesn't compare. He sees us, and He sees how the circumstance is individually effecting us and our families. Instead of wallowing, which I catch myself doing, focus on prayer and scripture that supports the building of hope. He is a loving Lord who desires to please His children. But, just like we wouldn't give our children everything they could ever ask for at a moment's notice, God won't do that for us. It's not to our long-term benefit. Should we stop praying? Never. But, his timing is always good, and the lessons we need to learn as followers of Christ are always mercifully necessary and full of love.

"And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love." 1 Corinthians 13:13

Be sure to check for today's MMSM and Organizational Tip! Also, please take a minute to share why you love being a SAHM under the post, Poll #1. Be blessed!


No comments:

Post a Comment