Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Let's Choose to Do

Thanks for reading! Today's SAHM joy is...
I love the opportunity to build routines as I stay at home with my son. Like his mommy, my guy loves his routines (praise God!), but they have to evolve with him. When the majority of our days are not filled with planned adventures, I am able to see what he needs, adjust our schedule, and watch to see how he is handling it. I'm thankful for the time I have to really get to know my guy.

As I completed another week of my healthy eating journey, I was pleased to see that I am down another pound of Caleb fluff (as I lovingly refer to my extra padding...)! While this was a great accomplishment, I think my initial excitement for my new eating plan is starting to wane. I love that this study is based on losing weight with the Lord, not just by yourself. I definitely need Him to keep encouraging me! Again, I highly recommend Lysa TerKeurst's book and study. It's under the Recommended Links on my home page.

As I was praying through this week and reading scripture, I came across one that brought up an interesting thought...not just with healthy living but with living as Christ-followers in general. 1 Peter 2:9-12 says:

"But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God's special possession, that you may declare the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His wonderful light. Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy. Dear friends, I urge you, as foreigners and exiles, to abstain from sinful desires, which wage war against your soul. Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day He visits us."

As I read this and clearly understand what the Lord is asking of us in these words, I wondered...is it easier to not do things we shouldn't do than to do things we know we should do? That is a little wordy, but basically, I know that I shouldn't murder, steal, worship idols, use the Lord's name in vane, be unfaithful to my husband, etc...all of the good Christian rules. But, do I put an equal amount of importance on doing things He commands us to do? Love others as I love myself, serve others, worship Him morning, noon, and night, say NO to sinful desires, and care for my body as His holy temple on this earth...among other things.

You see, I had a shocking revelation. When it says "live such good lives among the pagans (that is, non-Christ followers) that...they may see your good deeds and glorify God...", I felt like God was saying that it isn't just what I don't do, but ultimately it's what I do do on a daily basis that sets an example of what it means to be changed by the love of Christ. That is a big responsibility!

As the primary care-givers for our children, SAHM have a scriptural obligation to set a Christ-like example for our children, in all areas. That's a bit sobering, huh? Thank the Lord for grace that He lovingly hands out on a daily basis! While today, my big thought is to set a Godly example of living in a healthy way for my family, for you it may be another area that needs some attention. Perhaps God has gently laid on your heart that you need to set a better example in how you communicate with your husband, maybe it's how you treat strangers out in public, maybe it's harnessing that road rage, maybe it's saying no to things that are not spiritually edifying and instead, turning your attention with your extra time to things that build up His kingdom.

We all have areas where we need to choose to do the right thing to exemplify Christ. As I said earlier, I think  it's often easier to not do the things we know aren't permissible. Let's agree together to focus on one area where our action (not an area of inaction) will set a Christ-like example for our children, specifically. Ask the Lord for His help, and He is sure to meet you there. Be blessed, mommies!

MMSM #27

Have a birthday party or event coming up? These days, invitations can be expensive and you usually only get eight per package. Why not make your own? Hit up Hobby Lobby when their scrapbook supplies are 40% off. I recommend solid colored paper, designed paper of your choice, an inexpensive paper cutter, sticky mounting squares, and a little creativity! We are throwing a "bouncy ball" party for my son, so I chose primary colored paper and polka dot designed paper. It took a few minutes per invitation, but it's well worth the saved money! Not particularly the crafty type? Offer to watch your scrapbooking-savvy friend's kids while she makes invitations for you!

Tip #15


Yesterday, a friend/blog reader, asked me for suggestions for the crawling stage. As for me, I am totally looking forward to the walking stage...it's amazing what my child will find in the abyss of my home and put in his mouth while crawling! Here is what is working for us. I have completely baby-proofed several rooms in our home. Honestly, I've found it impossible to baby-proof your whole house. I spend a lot of time in the kitchen, so our TV room/kitchen is baby-proofed, his room is good, and our playroom/craftroom is safe. Pick the rooms where you spend the most time, fix them up, then give Baby free reign! Baby gates are a staple in our house (although he started to crawl up one yesterday...), and if he's not in a "safe" room, I put him in his walker or make sure my eyes are glued to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment