Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Bearing Fruit

Good morning! Today, my SAHM joy is...
I love to take my son with me on errands. Well, I don't really have a choice, but I'm learning how to make it fun! At this age, he is so observant, interested, and playful. He likes to learn new things all the time. Yesterday, in a gift shop, I let him smell sachets and candles...he thought that was the funniest thing ever! I enjoy making teachable and playful moments out of everyday tasks with him. Priceless!

I want to start with a passage today that I read this morning during my quiet time, John 15:1-17. At first, I didn't really know what the Lord wanted me to get out of it, but then I thought about it for awhile. I think it is very applicable to us as daughters of Him and as mothers of our children.

"I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. John 15:1-4

In this passage, Jesus talks about cutting off unfruitful branches and pruning ones that do bear fruit. In relation to our lives, if we allow Him to work in us, He must remove parts of us that do not bear fruit. This growing process can be very painful. But next, He says that even those parts of us that do bear fruit, He must prune. Another painful process. While He is a merciful and loving God, He desires to make us whole and complete. Just as a gardener lovingly tends to his plants, and we tend to our growing children, God tends to us. Viewing everything as a learning process and preparation for what lies ahead. I felt that the Lord reminded me that while some "cutting and pruning" may hurt for a short time, the beautiful fruit that will appear is quite worth the discomfort...if we continue to focus on Him.

I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples. 5-8

In this next section, Jesus offers a glorious promise. If we remain focused on the Lord, His Word, and His teaching and direction, then He guarantees the bearing of much fruit. Because His Word speaks to each of us differently, maybe this passage gives you hope for future children. The Bible often refers to children as fruit. Maybe today, this passage speaks about fruit as the fruits of the Holy Spirit for you (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control). Perhaps He has placed people in your life, namely your husband and children, who need a daily reminder and example of these fruits. Abide in Him, spend time with Him, and He promises to strengthen these character attributes in you as His daughter. Notice that He also gives the promise of remaining in Him and asking whatever you wish. He always knows what's best for us, so sometimes He will deny a request, but I invite you to spend time with Him and ask Him to make His desires, your desires. Then, when you ask for something He has placed on your heart, He can lovingly reward you with it.

As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this: To lay down one's life for one's friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit--fruit that will last--and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you. This is my command:  Love each other." 9-17

The final verses of this section focus on love. How many of us need a daily reminder that we are loved and that we need to show love to one another? Some days are harder than others. But Jesus is gently reminding us that just as the Father has shown love to Him, he has loved us just the same. He asks us simply to remain in His love. Keep accepting it. Keep wanting it. Then, let Him show you through His Word and prayer how to show that love to others. Maybe you have a child who is difficult to love. In the moments where my son fits that category, I try (sometimes successfully, sometimes not) to remember that I am awfully hard to love sometimes. But God, faithful as He is, chooses to continue with me...his project.

Be continually encouraged by the very last part that I have underlined above. He chose each and every one of us. If we have chosen Him as well, then we can look forward to an earthly lifetime and a heavenly eternity learning from Him and growing in Him. If you have not yet chosen Him, look at what He says..."you did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit..." He chose each of us for a reason, as unique of a reason as each of us is a wife, a mom, a daughter, a friend. Perhaps you were chosen to raise many Godly children. Perhaps you were chosen to teach. Perhaps you were chosen to write. Perhaps you were chosen to preach His Word. Perhaps you were chosen to heal. Perhaps you were chosen to encourage. The only way to identify the fruit He has placed in each of us is to start loving, then to start exploring with Him. He is faithful to reveal His mysteries to those who love him. 

I hope these words are an encouragement to women everywhere today. I do this to not only help others, but to also help me. Thank you for joining me on this spiritual journey of leaning on Him during mommyhood. Don't forget to check the other tabs on the home page for helpful tips today. Be blessed, mommies!

No comments:

Post a Comment