Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Other Gods

Good morning! Today, my SAHM joy is...
While shopping for my son's first birthday invitation supplies yesterday, I had some fantastic "teachable moments," as I now refer to them. Screaming for fun in a quiet store has now become his entertainment of choice. This continued as we met a friend for dinner after our shopping trip. I'm learning that there is a fine line between letting him explore and molding correct behavior. While I didn't feel successful as we finally made our way home, I did learn that he somewhat responds to direct eye-contact with a firm "no", albeit momentarily. I won't give up! We'll keep going places, and I will keep trying new methods during these, many, "teachable moments." 

Last week, in a post title Choosing to Act, I encouraged each of us to make a plan in one area of our lives where we would be a willing participant in a life change with the Lord. I chose to join a small group studying Lysa TerKeurst's book Made to Crave. Check my recommended links in the right sidebar for more information on this book. Though doubling up some days while skipping others, I've faithfully done my homework and made a conscious decision to pray every time I wanted to eat this week, and I've started to figure out why I eat for reasons other than hunger. It turned out to be a really good thing! While not following any diet specifically, and putting prayer ahead of eating, I lost 3.5 pounds this week! That will put a skip in my step today :-)

I am fully aware that not everyone's earthly idol is food. But, because we have all sinned and fall short of His glory, we each have at least one thing that we struggle with. I had to be very honest with myself that I was putting unhealthy food choices ahead of my desire to take care of His temple. Am I healed yet? Certainly not. But, the awareness that He has placed in me this week is undeniable. Has he placed an awareness about something in you this week? Maybe an idol you struggle with is money. Maybe your idol is affirmation in the work place. Maybe your idol is alcohol or drugs. Maybe your idol is attention from men other than your husband. We all have one, ladies. There's no use wallowing in it. He has shown me that the first step is to admit it to Him and allow Him full access to clean up the mess I have created. He is very clear about His thoughts on objects, desires, or activities that we put above Him...

"You shall have no other gods before me." Deuteronomy 5:7

Period. There is no disclaimer for sausage and cheese biscuits from McDonald's (seriously, do they put the most addictive form of crack in those?!), there is no disclaimer for high-paying jobs to collect more things at the expense of staying home with children, there is no disclaimer saying that a little bit of unfaithfulness is permissible ahead of His commands, and there is no disclaimer of _______________. You choose. I have read this scripture time and time again through my life, but it really hit home with me this week. I pray that you also will be convicted as a wife, mother, and daughter of Christ by these words today. Let's allow God to go into the places that we hold the most dear, other than Him, and see what He can create out if it that glorifies Him. I'm excited to do this journey with any willing participants!

On another note, I'm praying about the direction to go with this blog. The MMSM seem very popular, and I have received sweet and encouraging feedback on the daily scripture posts. I admit that I can be long-winded sometimes, and let's be honest, tons of extra time isn't a luxury for mommies. I am going to attempt to be more concise in my thoughts and pray that God will direct my words quickly to the point! I also feel that sometimes it can get a bit heavy, and we need some goof and laughter in our lives! I'm thinking Funny Fridays! I also may focus on health one day of the week. Clearly, God is really convicting me in this area to be an example for my family. I may bring my Godly health education to the blog! I'm so new to this, so it really is a work in progress. Thank you for being willing to stick with me. Comments have been very encouraging and uplifting. I never want to stop providing those two things to you. Be blessed today :-)

Be sure to check today's MMSM and Organizational Tip!

No comments:

Post a Comment