Wednesday, May 30, 2012

His Temple and Starbucks

Today's SAHM joy is something I thought of yesterday while playing with my son...
I choose when, how, and to what extent he is disciplined! My son has started testing his boundaries in a big way (already at 10 months old???), and I have had to start saying "no" and re-directing behavior. If he was in a child care setting or with a family member for the majority of the day, ultimately it is their decision as to when, how, and to what extent he is disciplined. I will make mistakes, I will have to re-vamp my tactics, but at least I am present with him and able to try out what I think is best in raising him to respect others. 
I'm grateful for that :-)

Speaking of naughty behavior, the other day while grocery-shopping, I excitedly purchased an ice cold dark-chocolate mocha with tons of whipped cream and tons of calories. I don't usually do this, and instead my Starbucks drink-of-choice is a regular coffee with room for cream (less than half the price of the mocha). I wanted to treat myself to something yummy as we had been having a hard week with my husband traveling, and I was PMSing :-) I had taken a few sips and stepped away from the cart to grab a new sippy cup for my little guy. My son started reaching for a toy on the shelf, the drink in the holder caught his eye, and he picked it up and threw it to the ground...followed by an "uh-oh"...seriously?!? I couldn't get there fast enough to save my sweet, innocent drink from splattering all over the cart, the shelves, and my pants.

After posting my calamity on Facebook thinking that it would give my friends and family a chuckle, one of my friends commented, "He's looking out for you mom." He was so right. Here I was attempting to enjoy 330 empty calories just to try and make myself feel better. It has no nutritional value or worth to my well-being, yet I was like a little school girl jumping up and down when I ordered it.

Though his only intention was to make something crash on the floor, my sweet boy taught his momma a lesson that day. It really got me thinking. As Christ-followers we are told that our bodies are His temple, and we should treat them as such. I don't believe the Lord deems all Starbucks drinks as evil, but when it comes to consciously deciding to put something harmful, or at the very least non-nutritional, in your body time after time after time, that behavior shows a lack of respect for His temple which is our body.

"Do you now know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore, honor God with your body."
1 Corinthians 6:19-20

That's pretty clear! As moms, we have the privileged opportunity to be a fit and healthy example for our children and to show them how to take care of the one body each of us are given. To be very candid, I have personally struggled with food choices, self-control, and my weight since childhood. Pregnancy only made it worse! Ultimately, though, it's my decision. I feel that our children should and do give us a new motivation for healthy living.

Is it a sacrifice to say no to the delicious things this world has to offer and to work towards the goal of a healthy temple? Of course! But, we are called to sacrifice just as Jesus sacrificed His life for us. If you believe in Jesus, the Son of God, then your sins are forgiven, but in living a life for the Lord, you should desire to live in a pleasing way to Him. Hebrews 10:16 says...

"This is the covenant I will make with them after that time, says the Lord. I will put my laws in their hearts, and I will write them on their minds."

Like me, food may have become something that we have put above our desire for closeness with our Lord, just as I posted about the other day. It doesn't always have to be money or material items. There are many options for idols on this planet. We should desire to live in a healthy way or not to buy certain things not to gain favor with Him, He already loves us more than we can ever imagine. We should desire to live in this way so that we may show our gratefulness to Him for all He has given us. He also blesses our efforts, remember that! Hebrews 10:35-36 says...

"So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded. You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what He has promised."

If you are living in a way that is not edifying His temple, decide today that you will make a change, for God, for your husband, for your children, and for yourself. Many of my entries are based on things the Lord is working on with me. Remember that we are all a project...

"I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." Philippians 3:14

This verse doesn't say that we are already at the finished line. Be blessed today, and watch it on those Starbucks drinks :-)

Today's couponing entry will be posted during nap time this afternoon. Be sure to check back!




No comments:

Post a Comment