Monday, February 25, 2013

A Shrew??? I Choose No!

Happy Monday! I think I'm going to stop previewing what I plan to write about in the days ahead. No joke...every time I do that, something happens (usually something frustrating or unpleasant!) that pushes my blogging to a lower priority, and I feel stress and guilt over not keeping my commitment to my intended posts. I know it's odd, but it's my personality. Therefore, you'll just have to keep checking back for my new thoughts :-) And, by doing this, perhaps nothing frustrating or unpleasant will ever happen to me again!

I haven't mentioned this in awhile, so as a reminder, instead of visiting the page, you can follow me by email (located on the right side under "pageviews"), or simply become a "Follower" (located on the right side near the bottom of the page). I care not which one you choose...just do whatever is easiest for you!

Lately, I've been cranky. Like, super cranky. I started my complaint list in my last post, and you can add another unfortunate confirmation that Baby McNamee #2 is not on the way...again. This fact has upset me more than I was prepared for, and more than I would like to honestly admit. Add various other "life happenings" piling atop one another to Saturday's list, and by all earthly standards, I have a right to be cranky, to be mad, and to throw myself a pity party without caring who it may or may not affect.

But, God convicted me today. You know what verses He brought to my mind this afternoon?

"Better to live on a corner of the roof than share a house with a quarrelsome wife." Proverbs 25:24

"A quarrelsome wife is like a constant dripping on a rainy day..." Proverbs 27:15

Well thanks, God! I really was just hoping You would join my pity party! I looked up the word quarrelsome, and this is what is means: contentious - cantankerous - shrewish - scrappy. Eww...I don't want to be any of those things! But, I'm afraid that I have been all of those things. None of the situations that are currently annoying me are my husband's fault. Well, the lack of a huge bouquet of gorgeous roses (or even a card...) for Valentine's Day was kind of his fault, but it does not warrant days and days of punishment. Sidenote...the new living room furniture does make up for flower and a card, my love :-) Back to my thoughts...unfortunately, because he is the person whom I share my everyday life with, the majority of my "shrewishness" is directed at him. Yes, I have a "right" to be upset, but God asks us to choose to be joyful, no matter the circumstances. 

You may be thinking that choosing to be happy, joyful, and kind is a kindergarten lesson in the school of Christianity, but every once in awhile, He has to drag us (kicking and screaming) all the way back to elementary school. Satan loves to convince us that it's okay and totally acceptable, even encouraged, to act on our feelings. A hard lesson that I've learned is that my feelings are often wrong. And if I were to act on my feelings, I would be acting in an unhealthy and ungodly way. Spewing my frustration onto others, especially my husband and son, will not bring forth any edifying thing. Here is some scripture to back this up:

"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen." Ephesians 4:29

"...for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through Him who gives me strength." Colossians 4:11-13

As you can see, I have written the majority of this to remind myself. I do hope that it will minister to each of you in the way we all choose to wallow, or not to wallow, to snap at our husbands and children, or to speak with joy and love, or to whine at God because we have a bum knee, instead of choosing to thank Him in all circumstances. One last thing...

  
If He woke me up this morning, which He did, then I need to be exceedingly grateful and joyful for all that is before me. This too, shall pass. The frustrations always do. Today, and everyday, be blessed!

Click here for two new Pinteresting Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment