Saturday, February 16, 2013

Save Him some Silence

Good evening, mommies :-) I sit here writing to you, and I'm blissfully listening to "Solo Piano Radio" on Pandora (excellent station) while my little man peacefully snoozes upstairs. Daddy has been gone for a week now, and he won't get home for three more sleeps, as we call it. I'm tired, for sure! But, it's been okay.

I have to be honest with you. It's only been three days of "no TV past 6pm" for Lent, and I am loving this. I feel like God has blessed this decision of being intentional with my evening hours. I feel rejuvenated in the evening, I've enjoyed spending time with Him, I can calmly prepare myself and the house for bed, and I have actually welcomed the silence, instead of fearing it.

As SAHMs, I think the constant background noise of the TV can become a crutch. We spend a LOT of our time at home, and to be quite honest, the TV provides some grown-up talk amidst the constant toddler-talk! When Patrick is gone, the silence can be intimidating. I will even admit to turning the TV on in our room when I go to bed, just so there is noise as I try to fall asleep. I had a thought today. It's not a new thought, but a revived one. Isn't it interesting how we pray and pray to God to ask Him for answers on a specific something, but we rarely give Him the courtesy of silence in our lives in order to hear Him? No, I haven't heard His audible voice for hours on end the past few nights, but at least I'm finally giving Him the chance by turning off the noise!

This revelation was paired with a powerful verse from my Bible app this morning. Check this out!

This is God's Message, the God who made earth, made it liveable and lasting, known everywhere as God: "Call to me and I will answer you. I'll tell you marvelous and wondrous things that you could never figure out on your own." Jeremiah 33:2-3 (The Message)

Umm...yes, please! I would love to know "marvelous and wondrous things"! He so badly wants to love us by communicating with us. As mothers with very busy babies to raise, husbands to care for, schedules to manage, homes to clean, bodies to exercise, relationships to nurture, and a million other things, it can be nearly impossibly to carve out time for silence. I encourage you to try. I don't know what this season of purposeful quiet will hold for me and my Lord, but I do know that He is always full of great surprises. 

Have a blessed weekend with your families, and check back next week for some new thoughts on the choice of SAHMommyhood. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment