Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Lessons from the Road, part 1

"The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it; for He founded it upon the seas and established it upon the waters."
Psalm 24:1-2

A cross-country road trip with a toddler (and I mean 24 hours of driving in two days) probably doesn't sound like anybody's idea of fun. But, despite our reservations, we did it! I've mentioned in several posts that my husband travels a LOT with his work...lately, every week Monday through Friday. Because I stay home with our son, we've decided to make the trips with him more often. We need family time, and this is the only way we can get it! This week, we're in Virginia. Happily, we lived here for a short time a few years ago, so the thought of spending great catch-up time with our dear friends, and introducing them to our son, excited me enough to agree to this drive.

When it was all said and done, it actually wasn't that bad. Bring enough toys, snacks (yes, feel free to eat your children's snacks to keep you awake at night!), things that make noise, and a never-ending supply of Baby Einstein's on the iPad, and it's actually quite manageable, even enjoyable :-)

On one of my driving stints, I fervently prayed to God to let this go smoothly, safely, and quickly. Oh, so quickly! During the quiet while both the hubby and son were sleeping, I felt like the Lord encouraged me to simply enjoy what I saw, enjoy where I was, enjoy who I was with, and enjoy His creation of my life and the world around me. I don't mean for this to sound like we were the happiest family on the block trotting across the country, but I actually had a change in my spirit after that encounter! I have prayed so long for my husband's job responsibilities to relax enough to allow him to be with us. Here he was sitting right next to me! His company allowed us to rent a car, and they covered gas and hotels, so we simply had to stay awake and drive. What a blessing! My son was happy and content (except for the whole afternoon/evening when he couldn't, ahem, get things moving, shall we say??? What is it with kids refusing to poo-poo on a trip! Poor guy...). Ultimately, I actually tried to focus on the joys of His creation around me, rather than obsessively watching the arrival time on the GPS.

The truth? Patience is not my strongest spiritual gift, to say the least :-) Driving mile after mile on I-70 across the country is a patience-building exercise. But truly, when I watched the dried up cornfields pass and prayed for the people it affected, when I focused on the gorgeous thunderstorm clouds and rainbows, watched the baby cows frolicking (do cows frolic?) around the fields, and then focused on gratefulness as I remembered the sweet, sweet life we had in Virginia for two years, the 24 hours of driving time actually felt like a fantastic mini-vaca all alone with my two favorite boys, and my God.

I don't mean to sound like a cheese ball here, but I really learned a lot this last weekend! I simply wanted to share it with you. As the verse above says, He created all of it. Even the long, drawn out stretches of land in the Plains. Everything He has done is beautiful in it's own way. Perhaps if we all started trying to focus on living in the moment and not what the GPS destination is, we could enjoy what He has done so much more. Perhaps if we weren't constantly waiting for our children to outgrow "this phase" (oh...the biting...), we could appreciate the incredible phase that they're in, for such a short time. Maybe if we stop running around always trying to get the next thing done, we could take a deep breath of Him into our lives, and feel His love. 

Just some thoughts after a great time with the Lord this weekend. Be blessed as mommies and managers of your families. These are sweet days, in the car and on the road, or not. Enjoy what He has made!

"This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it."
Psalm 118:24

MMSM #38
Just say NO! After completing a cross-country trip with my husband and son, I've learned that fast food kids meals are a complete waste of money. The portions are ridiculously small, typically unhealthy, and the "meal" is full of mostly packaging and a toy that will break in two hours. I've found that ordering a la carte is a much better option. For example, you can get a yogurt parfait and a grilled chicken breast at McD's for around $2. You can get four nuggets and a side salad for about $2 at Wendy's. You have to ask, as some extra items aren't listed. The worst they can say is no! Be creative when you have to do fast food, and see if you can't design a healthier, and cheaper, meal for your kiddo!

Tip #26


Over the next few days, I will be offering some travel tips that have made our cross-country trip much easier! Today's tip? If you have to stay in a hotel or with relatives on the way to your final destination, simply pack an overnight bag. That way, you don't have to drag everyone's suitcase in with you. Place it closest to the back door of the car, and it's ready to grab when you arrive at 3am! I used one bag for the three of us with jammies, next day clothes, and bathroom necessities. I also brought in the diaper bag and pack 'n' play. Loading back up was much easier, and we were well on our way to the next destination!

No comments:

Post a Comment