Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Back to School, but I'm at Home

Back-to-school time is one of my favorite times of the year. As a teacher, I loved the fresh start that came along with a whole new year of school, new faces, a perfectly clean and organized classroom, and a brand new stash of office supplies! I don't know what it is, but I get more excited about a new package of multi-colored Sharpies than I do about new teacher clothes. Someone has to keep those stores in business...just be sure and use a coupon!

Twice now, I've been in the midst of back-to-school excitement while watching from the side lines with our son. To my surprise, I did not have the overwhelming desire to jump in and join my past co-workers. Truthfully, I was still in the newborn haze last year...I hardly noticed anything past Caleb's sweet little face. But this year, something very cool happened. I could watch my teacher friends excitedly preparing for the new year, I could see my mommy friends encouraging their school-aged children to get ready for school, we could watch the neighborhood children happily skipping to the bus stop at our corner, and I could still admire the isles of office supplies at Walmart. But! I was overwhelmed with a contentment that I was exactly where God wanted me to be.

I loved teaching. Elementary music is a world of its very own, and I felt confident in my career choice for the five years that it lasted. And that's just it. I'm just as confident of my life choice right now. To me, this is an unexpected feeling. I've dealt with feelings of restlessness and discontentment throughout my life...always wondering what's coming up next and nostalgically pining away for the past. God has really shown up for me in this area of contentment. I can honestly say that while I enjoyed my five years in public school teaching, I am absolutely loving my time at home with our son. I don't look back and think...what if??? I don't wonder if I should have put him in day care and continued my teaching career. I don't hold feelings of jealousy for those friends who have more money and prettier things because they have continued working outside the home. I've simply learned to be grateful for what we have, when we have it, and I appreciate my whole journey that has led me to my calling of a SAHM. 

I ran across a verse this morning that reminded me how much God loves to bless us. Maybe you are simply asking for the practical pieces to fall into place to make staying-at-home a reality. Maybe you are having a heart issue. Trust me...we have all had those! Pray to Jesus and ask Him to turn your heart towards Him and what He wants for your life. If God can change my restless and discontented heart towards loving a life of 24/7 spit up, poop, and sleeplessness, then He can do it for anyone. It's really hard to do this job of SAHM if you don't love it. Ask Him to help you love it. Ask Him to put your "old life" in a sweet little box that you can look sweetly upon, yet have the full confidence in knowing you are right where He needs you to be. I'll leave you today with this passage from Matthew. Remember, sweet mommies, how much He loves us and wants to bless us with gifts, both tangible and spiritual.

"Which of you, if her son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" Matthew 7:9-11

MMSM #45
Need an easy, inexpensive, and cute way to decorate a playroom or a child's room? I found this fantastic idea from Pinterest. Check out this etsy site...ABC Scriptures for Kids. I went my own route with it and actually used a pile of flash cards that I had sitting around. I Google searched verses that started with the letter (whatever), and then taped the flash card to a 1/2 piece of scrap-booking paper. You could get really fancy and frame each one, but I'm going for the rustic look with push pins :-) When your child is older, you could use the verses you choose for scripture memory practice! Happy playroom decorating!

Tip #33

Our son goes through a lot of sippy cups. I became annoyed when I was constantly going back and forth to cabinets trying to pull all of the little pieces together for one stinkin' cup. So now, they just stay on our counter! He has a basket with his cups and bottles (yes...he still has a bottle at night!), wash cloths for wiping his face after a meal, and Tylenol or Advil if we are using them. Cups and bottles go right from the dishwasher to the basket, so we always know where they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment