Friday, September 21, 2012

Dare to Share

"Being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." Philippians 1:6

During my quiet time this morning, I saw this was my "verse of the day" on my Bible iPhone app. Don't you love technology?! Immediately, my mom came to mind. I didn't know why, I was kind of confused, but I felt compelled to text this verse to her. Again, technology :-) I continued with my quiet time until my sweet toddler hit my shin with his play hammer. Honestly...who comes up with "play" tools??? It was promptly added to the pile of toys which he no longer has the privilege of enjoying, for now. Some of those suckers really hurt!

Later on, after our zoo play date (where he learned to growl at every animal, and every stranger!), we were browsing through the Christian bookstore looking for some good deals (with coupons!). I had not thought about Philippians 1:6 since this morning, and then my phone rang. It was my mom. As soon as she said "hello," I knew she had been crying. She then shared that the company she has faithfully served for over a decade has decided to outsource all of their jobs to India, and as of January 31, she will be unemployed. After we hung up, the verse came to mind immediately. 

When we spoke again later in the day, she thanked me for sending the verse, and then she realized I had sent it early this morning, before either of us knew the news about her company. I didn't know it, my mom didn't know it, but God knew that she needed that verse today, at 8am. This powerful verse from Philippians encourages confidence in the fact that, if you are still breathing, God is not finished with your story! Things may get rough...really rough. You, or your husband, could lose a job, you could lose a friend, you could lose your spouse, or even your child. While we pray against all of these and other awful things, we know that we will face hardship in this life. In John 16:33, Jesus says:

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world, you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." (emphasis added)

It's not a question of "if," but a question of "when." Thankfully, we have a Father in heaven who will equip us with enough grace to handle the most difficult of situations. But isn't it just like our sweet Father to provide some unexpected encouragement along the way? That's why I wanted to share this story with you. I was actually going to write today on whether or not organization was biblical (I know...so spiritually important!), but I was overwhelmed at His timing and methods this evening, and so I simply wanted to share my day with each of you. He never ceases to amaze me. 

So to you, fellow mommies, I urge you to stand as pillars of your palace and spiritually encourage anyone whom God places on your heart and mind. Not long ago, I would have felt silly texting a random verse to someone. Now with this situation, and others that have happened recently, I am motivated to keep listening to His direction. I've learned not to add my own interpretation...that can put you and your recipient on a slippery slope of confusion. I just simply give a verse He shows me to whomever He says. His perfect Word always speaks for itself. Maybe he'll use you to speak His Word to your children, a friend, your husband, the person sitting three chairs down at church, or a perfect stranger! There are no limits to His ways. Embrace them and obey them. The fruits of encouragement that you will see blossom in others will make your day :-)

Today, and everyday, be blessed as mommies and as women! Come back next week for more fun topics (on organization!), and some all new MMSM and OT's. Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment