Monday, July 23, 2012

1 Timothy 4:12, part 1

Welcome to another week in this crazy life phase called mommyhood! I pray that each of your weekends was rejuvenating and restful, or at the very least enjoyable :-) I want to start with a Word of encouragement for each mommy reading this blog. The Lord led me to this scripture this morning, and it was such an affirming Word to accept into my life today. I will discuss the first part of the verse today, and follow up with a discussion on the second part tomorrow. 1 Timothy 4:12 says...

"Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believer in speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity."

Love that! Maybe some of you are like me in that many times, I question my authority to speak about the Lord, share the things I have learned through life, and my ability to be a spiritually sound wife to my husband and a strong and loving mother for my son. Clearly, though, this Word from God not only asks us to be Christ-like examples to others, but to also not accept any discouragement from anyone because we are young. 

I firmly believe in the importance of surrounding yourself and your family with Godly influences and mentors. People you trust who have walked the phase you are currently in are priceless additions to a strong spiritual walk. But, we never know how God is going to work or who he will choose to work through. I assume that many mommies who read this blog are young mothers with young children. Remember, God never makes a mistake. He gave you your children at the precise time that you were ready to accept them, whether that was 15 or 30. Don't let people look down on you, tell you that you don't know what you are doing, or question your ability to lead a Godly life for yourself and for your children. If you are seeking after Him and dutifully trying to learn how to be a good wife and mother, He is faithful to bless you in your journey. Not only that, but be prepared to be amazed at how He can use your life and testimony to bless other mommies who are alongside you or who come after you. Look carefully at how He calls us to be examples:
  • Speech
  • Life
  • Love
  • Faith
  • Purity
The way we speak to one another, and especially to our husbands and children, is a fantastic opportunity to teach others the love of Christ. Many unbelievers will continue to turn away from God simply because of hypocritical talk and actions of those they know to be Christ-followers. I try to remember that I never know who is watching or listening as I'm at the store, the gas station, and my arch-nemesis, Walmart (why I get so cranky in this store, I have no idea?!). There have been many times that I wish I had acted differently in a mundane, everyday situation. I started to pray that God would gently remind me that I am always being watched, especially by my son. I know He has been faithful to bring to mind polite and uplifting words in times of frustration when others are observing my behavior. It's a learning process, but we're working on it!

No one has had a picture-perfect life. We have all made mistakes, we have all had nights we pray to forget (love that Jonny Diaz song), and hopefully, we have learned to keep pulling ourselves out of the current pit and turn our eyes towards Jesus. I have found that the lives evident of true repentance and redemption are the ones that intrigue me most. When God can turn a terribly messy life wrought with poor choices into a life sold out for Him, that is something worth celebrating! When I can share the mistakes I have made in my life followed by the loving way in which the Lord has offered me forgiveness, that is so much more powerful than  "I became a Christian at five years old, and here I am today!" Remember to let others into your story!

Join me tomorrow as I let God lead me in discussing setting an example with love, faith, and purity as mothers. Have a fantastic day with your children! Be blessed, mommies.

MMSM #34


We all love to get pictures taken of our little ones. Unless you have a fancy camera (we don't!), it usually makes the most sense to save up and have your pictures done professionally. I've found that, using coupons, Target gives you the best bang for your buck. We did pictures at 3, 6, and 9 months, and we'll do his 1-year this week. They will try and sell you a lot of products that I think are unnecessary, but you can still get a few great poses and copies for the grandparents for a great deal. Use this website, Target Portrait Studio coupons, and find the deal that works for you! Once you have had pictures done and purchased once, they will mail you even better coupons!


Tip #22


Check out this fantastic organization website...http://getneater.blogspot.com. I love her idea on this page about "Crap Baskets." You can call them whatever you'd like, but it's a great method to combat clutter on the main level of a home. Enjoy checking out this and many other great ideas for home organization.

No comments:

Post a Comment