Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Time for Replenishment

Welcome back! Today's SAHM joy is another example of flexibility...
When the fire situation became a little too close to home, literally, my husband and I decided to head out of town for a few days. If I had a job outside the home or a list of responsibilities outside of our family, it would have been extremely difficult to quickly gather what we needed to leave at a moment's notice. Because my job is truly working for my son and my husband, I'm able to completely focus on my them and decide what is best for our family during not-so-normal circumstances. For that, I am grateful!

Yesterday, I discussed calming the always-turning hamster wheel in our head reminding us of what we didn't get done each day, or reminding us of what we could have done better. As I was doing my quiet time this morning, God sweetly led me to a passage that is so applicable to me and, I imagine, to many of you reading this blog. Luke 10:38-42 says...

As Jesus and His disciples were on their way, He came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to Him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what He said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to Him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!" "Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed--or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."

Eeks...that was slightly convicting! How often do I constantly run around like a chicken with my head cut off "distracted by all the preparations that have to be made?" How often do I choose to do mindless busy work instead of focusing on my relationships with Christ? But, here is my conundrum. Someone has to do those things. Someone has to prepare food, clean the house, clean up after the children and the pets, plan and prepare for a first birthday party (so excited!), etc. So, is God saying to not do any of those things and simply read His teachings all day every day while neglecting everything else? I don't think so. He gave us our lives and our responsibilities, and our responsibility to our family is one of His making. 

I think the lesson of this passage is that we must be so spiritually in tune with Him that we must discern correctly when it is time to do our work and when it is time to simply rest in His presence. It's a hard balance, especially for moms. We can get so focused on the following verse:

"Therefore, my dear sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain." 1 Corinthians 15:58

Yes, being a wife, a mother, a friend, a daughter, etc. is all work for the Lord. Yes, we should always give our best effort, like I discussed yesterday. But, we must remember that we need our buckets re-filled, too! Our pastor often talks about our spiritual lives being like a leaky bucket. We must be replenished! This week, I challenge you to ask God to give you discernment in deciding when is the proper time for work and when is the proper time for replenishment in Him. After all, we are always more effective in our work when we are full in Him. Be blessed, mommies!

By the way, I've added a few updates to the "Couponing" page. Take a minute to check it out!

MMSM #30

Ordering checks is one of those annoying, but necessary, parts of being a grown-up. I found an awesome online deal! Go to www.4checks.com, browse to find what you like (we always order single checks because they are the cheapest), and then enter code "DE5595" at check out. I just got a whole box of checks and shipping for less than $10. Not a bad deal!

Tip #18


It's no secret that I am a huge fan of schedules. While daily schedules are common around our house, I'm playing with a few weekly schedules that I've been introduced to via friends and Pinterest! Check out this idea from www.somewhatsimple.com. Try changing it up a bit, if necessary, to work for your family, or ask your older children to give their input. I think it's always fun to have something to look forward to, even if it's a trip to the library! Happy scheduling!

No comments:

Post a Comment