Wednesday, July 18, 2012

If-Then

Hello! Thanks so much for checking in. I pray that all is happy and healthy at your homes with your husbands and your children. My son's 1st birthday party ("bouncy ball" theme) was a huge success, and all of the family has gone while we have cleaned and tried to return to a normal schedule the last two days. What a blast! I'm so tired, but it was so worth it. Can't wait until he turns 2 :-)

I plan to add a "Parties" tab to my home page sometime in the near future. I absolutely loved planning this party, finding ways to save money while preparing, and hosting friends and family in our home. When I was a Mary Kay consultant, I hosted many parties in our home. I also enjoy hosting dinner and game parties with friends, movie nights with girlfriends, and get-togethers for holidays. My hosting duties have waned a bit since having our son, but I'm hoping the happiness of last weekend will remind me to do this more often...while saving money in the process! Check back by the end of the week for that new page with pictures!

On to things that really matter...

I had a great quiet time this morning even though my son was toddling around in his walker "fixing" things with his new plastic wrench. So cute! My devotional led me to a passage in Philippians. It said:

"Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from His love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of others." Philippians 2:1-4

I have read this passage before, and I basically thought it was saying to be nice to others and look for ways to make their lives easier over your own. Very applicable to being a wife and mother, right? When I read it this morning, I felt like the Holy Spirit gave me a fresh interpretation of the passage. Notice how the first part says, "if you have any encouragement...if you have any comfort...if any common sharing...if any tenderness or compassion..." I realized that Paul is saying that if I had ever experienced any of these, then I have a spiritual obligation to show these same things to others while putting their interests ahead of my own. I don't know about you, but I have certainly had the amazing opportunity to experience:
  • Encouragement from Christ
  • Comfort from His love
  • Common sharing, or knowledge, in the Holy Spirit
  • Tenderness and compassion from Christ
I pray to experience these things on a daily basis. I specifically prayed for encouragement this morning...I wrote it in my journal! And then, my eyes were opened by the Spirit to this passage. I love how Jesus loves us and how He works :-)

Therefore, I know Jesus is asking us today to give others:
  • Encouragement
  • Comfort
  • Commonality (speaking freely with others about the Lord)
  • Tenderness
  • Compassion
It is a command from Him, but Paul phrases it in a beautiful request. Today, I pray that each of us receive the things listed above from the Lord, and that we can then have opportunities arise that allow us to give these things to others...especially to our husbands and children. Be blessed, mommies!

MMSM #33


Throwing a party? Why not make your own banner(s)? Party store accessories are often horrendously expensive and cheaply made. If you have scrapbook paper, string, a marker, and some extra time, they can turn out really cute! My friend and I made this one for my son's 1st birthday party. Add a balloon on either side, and you have instant cuteness! His theme was "bouncy balls" so we cut the paper in the shape of a circle. We used the lid to two different Tupperware containers to get them round. (Just have to mention that the picture on the slideshow is the very first picture my husband took of our son and I together after he was born. Love it!)

Tip #21

Most of us will have guests stay at our home from time to time. Because things are usually crazy as you are preparing for the next round of guests to arrive, don't add to your to-do list by washing sheets and remaking the bed. Instead, do it the day guests leave, or the day after. Put the pretty pillows on the bed, wipe down the room, vacuum, and it's ready to go for whenever the next guest pops in!

No comments:

Post a Comment