Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Lord, Are You Sure???

Greetings, mommies! I hope you enjoyed the scripture discussion from 1 Timothy the past two days. I love when God gives you a verse to think about, and you learn a novel's worth of information from one sentence. So cool! Today, I feel led to talk a little bit about trusting God in our decision-making. Look at this passage...

"Lord, if it's you," Peter replied, "tell me to come to you on the water."
"Come," He said.
Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water, and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, "Lord, save me!"
Immediately Jesus reached out His hand and caught him. "You of little faith," He said, "why did you doubt?"
Matthew 14:28-31

I originally thought about writing on this verse when we were on our pre-evacuation trip to Kansas a few weeks ago. Like many of you, I've heard this story time and time again, but I felt that on that trip, I got a refreshed meaning of the passage. Here's my thought:

Peter is so confident in his request and his trust in Jesus at the beginning of the story. Clearly you would have to be, if you're contemplating walking on water in the middle of a crazy storm. Jesus wholeheartedly engages with Peter and gives Him a command. But then, just as strong as his confidence was, fear overpowered Peter as he started to walk. The verse says that immediately the Lord offered His hand to Peter, but then gently reminded him that he need not doubt his trust in God.

How often do we confidently begin a new adventure in life, make a change, or jump into a ministry fully knowing that we have the 100% backing and support of our Lord and Savior, only to lose nearly all of our faith shortly into the process? I find that I am often quick to forget confirmations I have received from God on a step of faith. Example? Nearly two years ago, my husband and I both felt like it was time to start a family. I was insanely excited to be pregnant and become a mommy. I had verse after verse in my journal validating our desire from the Lord, yet as soon as that little stick had two lines on it, my thoughts went from elation to...oh no, what if I miscarry? What if my husband really isn't ready to be a dad? What if I'm too sick to continue working? What if something is wrong with our baby? What if this is the wrong time? Silly, right?!? Actually, more like ridiculous. Just as in the story with Peter, God immediately came to my side and started offering words of comfort through scripture and impressing upon my thoughts during my quiet times. I also felt Him continually say to trust him and have faith that it was the right time, He did choose the right baby to come to us, and He would prepare my husband and I to be the parents our son needed. 

Often times, Satan will try and steal our joy in an adventure that is truly ordained by the Lord. Perhaps for you, it is the adventure of staying at home. Believe me when I say there could be difficult days with finances, you could have melt down after melt down due to the lack of adult interaction, you could even doubt your ability to care full-time for your children. But if you know that you and your husband made this decision after counsel with the Lord and affirmation from Him, there is nothing to fear! Maybe you and your family are considering a move. Moves are exciting, but they are also very scary and stressful. When you get to those points, take my advice in remembering and dwelling on what got you to that confident decision in the first place. For me, I sometimes doubt this blog! Am I doing the right thing with my morning time? Is this helping anyone? Do I look silly for attempting something like this? Then, I remember the absolute certainty I had from the Lord when I started writing. Truly, if I even reach one person for Christ, then it is more than worth it. That is an exciting thought!

Because our Jesus loves each of us so much, He won't be mean to us or chastise us for losing faith in Him on our current adventure. I'm sure it hurts him, though. How many times has He faithfully provided all we could need and far more than we could want, but we continually have our blinders on and forget to look in the rear view mirror at all He has done. The new motto for our family? Remember the track record He has continually shown over and over again to be good, and right, and true. Why would He fail us now? He wouldn't, and he won't.

Whatever your new adventure, life change, or calling from God is right now, trust that if you had enough Godly confidence to start it, it's most likely from Him. Just like Peter on the water, He won't leave us out there to sink. He'll offer His hand whenever needed, but let's see how long we can go simply focusing our eyes on Him and trusting he will support us through and through. Be blessed, mommies!

MMSM #36
Want to know a product we love and use? All Free & Clear laundry detergent. I started buying Dreft when Caleb was first born, but that stuff is expensive! Then, I switched to the generic, but it was still too expensive. All detergent has has a fragrance-free (and mostly natural) formula that is way cheaper, and you can often find it on sale. Pair it with a coupon, which are very popular for this item, and you just scored a sweet deal for your little one's laundry!





Tip #24


Keeping a calendar is a favorite past-time of mine. Feel free to laugh now :-) I've tried many different methods...on the fridge, carrying a day planner with me, and using my phone. I am now a huge fan of the Google Gmail calendar. It links to your Gmail email account, so it's always accessible wherever you can get email. Plus, my husband can access it as well, and it will send us both text message updates about upcoming events. It also syncs with any iPhone or Droid. Just sign up for Gmail email, and click on the "Calendar" link at the top to get started. 

No comments:

Post a Comment