Thursday, March 28, 2013

Easter Week - Thursday

Hi mommies! So, I broke down. We're potty training! Caleb kept asking to go to the potty, so I figured it was time to allow my child the freedom to move through this natural stage of toddlerhood! Currently, he's sitting on the potty when he gets up, before and after nap, and before bed time. He has actually gone in the potty one time, thereby earning an M&M and a Thomas sticker! He loved it :-) Truthfully, I haven't done a lot of research in the methods of potty-training. I'm not big into books right now (other things just take priority), so my knowledge on the topic is limited. So...I'd love to hear your thoughts! What methods have worked for you? Rewards or no rewards? Insist on scheduled potty times, or let the toddler tell you when he/she needs to go? Straight into pull-ups and underwear, or continue with diapers throughout training? Truly, I need your input! Feel free to leave a comment or email me :-)

Easter Week - The Last Supper and the Garden of Gethsemane
The Last Supper was the Passover meal, which was celebrated by the Jewish people since the time of Moses. Remember that Moses was God's chosen man to free the Israelites from the harsh rule of the Egyptian people. At this Passover celebration, Jesus washed the disciples' feet. This symbolizes His humility and His servanthood. It was done to teach the disciples humility and love in serving. The sacrament, or Lord's Supper, was also given during the Passover meal with Christ's disciples. It was at this time that He instituted the Lord's Supper, also called Holy Communion. It is a reminder that just as physical food and drink nourish our human bodies, Jesus' death and resurrection give eternal life to our spirits. After the Passover meal, Jesus and His disciples left the room and went on to the garden of Gethsemane, which means "oil press." This was a place frequented by Jesus when He wanted to be alone for prayer or thought. Here, He pleaded with God for help in His upcoming torture and crucifixtion. He suffered such agony that "His sweat was as if it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground." Here, He suffered for each of us individually, and for all of our sins and heartache.

Application: As you pray today, ask, "What can I do to be ready to receive the sacrament this Sunday?"

Prophecy (scripture from the Old Testament that accurately foretold the happenings of Jesus): "Even my close friend, whom I trusted, he who shared my bread, has lifted up his heel against Me." Psalm 41:9

"Surely He took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows, yet we considered Him stricken by God, smitten by Him, and afflicted." Isaiah 53:4

Scripture Reading: Matthew 26:17-30, 36:46, Mark 14:12-26, 32-42, Luke 22:7-38, John 13:1-17, 14:1-17:26

Need more ways to celebrate this week?
The original site for this is down, so I can't give credit where it is due! But, isn't this a great idea for toddler Easter baskets?!
So, so cute! Find a bunny cookie cutter (Bed, Bath, & Beyond has a boxed set of 100+ cookie cutters for less that $10), and cut out little bunny sandwiches for your sweet ones. The blog where this idea came from has lots of other bunny ideas. Check it out at Bunny Decor Ideas

I hope my posts are giving you creative ideas for celebrating Easter...both in the true meaning of the crucifixtion and resurrection of our Lord and Savior, and also in the silly, kid-friendly way of bunnies and chocolate. Enjoy this beautiful season with your family! See you tomorrow, and don't forget to send me those potty-training tips!

 

2 comments:

  1. I've only toilet-trained two kids, but from those experiences I can offer this advice: wait until the child is ready (anything else is just a false start and a frustration to the child). And it seems that Caleb is definitely ready. But I have to add, he seems awfully young. He'll be 2 in July, right? My pediatrician told me that young kids actually don't have bladder control muscles until a certain age and can't toilet train. So you might want to check with your pediatrician to see if this is just "playing with toilets" or if Caleb has the capacity to toilet train at age 20 months.

    The second thing I learned is that Pull-Ups are a huge waste of money. Part of toilet training is understanding that keeping your pants dry is a good thing, and wet pants are a bad thing. Pull-Ups take that feeling away, and the cause and effect are gone. The kid will just continue going in his/her pants if the Pull-Up absorbs it all. Suddenly, you just switched from diapers to Pull-Ups, which isn't toilet training. That's changing diaper brands. To a more expensive, less-absorbent diaper brand, I might add. Go from diapers to underwear. Skip the Pull-Ups nonsense.

    Otherwise, your method is what worked for me. Just constant reminders, "Do you need to use the bathroom?" all day long. After a bit, they learn to self manage and will go on their own.

    And that's my two cents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, my friend! I wonder if he's old enough to really understand the concept, but if he's asking to go, I figure I might as well let him try! The thing about Pull-Ups makes sense. I may just finish out this pack of diapers, and see where we are at that point. Thanks for your insight!

      Delete