Thursday, March 7, 2013

We Can All Relate!

You know what happens when the fifth ear infection of the season appears in your toddler? You kind of start to lose it. A high fever and a gunky nose means that we hang out at home a lot so as not to infect/gross out our playmates and their parents. Truly, the grocery store was a delightful outing for us yesterday! I have been told that ear infections aren't contagious, but you never know what bug brought them on in the first place. This time, we're already on day three, and Daddy is traveling. Ear infections at our house are magical. They lie in wait until Daddy boards a plane, and then wreak their havoc on Baby, thereby wreaking havoc on Mommy. Solid sleep is few and far between, and naps are almost non-existant. So, my less-than-awesome motherly advice is the following: When dealing with one of these nasty things, pump the kiddo full of Tylenol and Ibuprofen (you can do both, but just stagger them every 3 hours), and remember to:


My little man went down at 7:30 tonight, but now at 8:46, I hear him rustling around. Sigh........

I am not prone to ear issues, but I can only imagine that it does not feel pleasant for your ears to be on fire! We're having an honest discussion with his doctor about tubes tomorrow, and I'm talking with other moms about homeopathic treatments for him. We'll get to the bottom of this! I am grateful that in spite of these infections, he seems to have good balance for his age, and he seems to hear well and is talking very well. I'll keep you posted :-)

In addition to the latest round of ear goo this week, Caleb has decided he wants to learn to use the potty. Like, every time. Now, I understand  that most mothers would jump for joy at the thought of no longer purchasing diapers. I'm not most mothers. I like our bathrooms to smell fresh and be free of pee on the floor, and I truly don't mind changing a diaper every now and then. It's better than frantically searching for the bathroom in a Walmart like a mad woman. Alas, my mother has reminded me that this is obviously a necessary skill for Caleb to learn, and if he wants to go use the potty like a big boy, I should not be the one to hinder him. Okay, okay. I get it! I ordered a Thomas the Train potty seat tonight, so that's a good first step. As we really get in to this phase, I will probably be asking for suggestions on how to make it easier, and sharing tidbits of what I learn to do, and what not to do. Again, I'll keep you posted :-)

Every once in awhile, I do a post like this to remind my readers that we can all relate to one another because we are all mothers. No matter where each of us is in our spiritual walk, I'm sure you've had a day, a week, or a month like this, and some that are much worse. Nevertheless, allowing the frustrations of our situations overwhelm us will only hinder us from being the best mothers that He has designed us to be. Especially in those times of sickness in your homes, remember this scripture.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones." Proverbs 17:22

Let's choose to be cheerful together. And, let's choose to go to bed early when God allows it. The rustling has stopped :-) Goodnight, sweet mommies! 

CLICK HERE for a new Organizational Tip! 

 

1 comment:

  1. Girl I have so been there with chronic illnesses! It's stressful and draining when your baby keeps getting sick and you don't know why. I'll be praying for you and Little Caleb. :-)

    ReplyDelete