Saturday, March 23, 2013

Gardening - McNamee Style!

Today's post is a MMSM, Organizational Tip, and kid-friendly activity, all in one! Aren't you excited?! :-)

My husband would love to have a full garden that we grow, tend, and harvest every year for all of our produce. However, he travels a lot with work, so garden-tending falls on my shoulders. Even when we lived in Virginia, the gardening mecca of the country, I was unable to grow much more than a few green peppers and a ton of peas (just a note...I planted way more than peppers and peas!). But, I won't give up. While Colorado isn't ideal for a moist, flourishing garden, I've still decided to give it a shot. Check out this very cool website:
It can help you personalize a garden for your likes and your region! An important step that I seem to miss every year is planting your seeds indoors, then transplanting them to your outside garden once the potential frost season has passed. The plants you should start in the early Spring depend on where you live. For Colorado, they are tomatoes, eggplant, and peppers. So, we ventured to Walmart to purchase our supplies. My friend recommended this very cool item to help with our garden-starting:
I bought three of them, and they cost $1.98 each. It comes with little dirt pellets that expand to fill the container when wet. Caleb enjoyed helping me pour the water and watching them grow. We planted a few seeds, and then he was bored :-) I imagine this would be a fantastic kid-friendly activity if your darlings were a bit older!

We bought organic tomato (cherry and regular), eggplant, and green pepper seeds which were also $1.98 each. For a total of $14.99 (tax included), we made a great start on our 2013 garden! Be sure to label your seed kits and mark the date you planted. Here are the babies basking in the front window...


Read the back of your seed packets carefully for planting instructions, transplant instructions, and days to maturity. This is an ongoing process, obviously, so I'll keep you updated! In the mean time, I just hope to keep the toddler and dog away from our budding food.


No comments:

Post a Comment