Saturday, March 9, 2013

Grab Your Calling!

Happy weekend! Well, Colorado is in for another March blizzard today. For my local readers, I hope you get to stay home and snuggle with your honeys :-) I read a neat verse in my quiet time this morning, and I wanted to share it with each of you:

"Therefore, my sisters, be all the more eager to make your calling and election sure. For if you do these things, you will never fall, and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ." 1 Peter 1:10-11

When God reveals our gifts and talents to us, when He speaks to our hearts about how He needs us to impact His kingdom, and when He clearly solidifies our sole purpose (or purposes!) for being on this planet, it is our obligation to live out those callings to the best of our ability. He doesn't give gifts, talents, and callings without reason. He doesn't flippantly assign skills to whomever was closest at the time. He thoughtfully and meticulously chose your purpose during your human life that would bring the most glory to Him, and that would draw others into His eternal love.

In my very first post back in April 2012, I spoke about my frustrations with not having a Godly calling from childhood. Through the years, I've learned that God will call us to different jobs, life situations, and circumstances as we journey through our time on Earth. I do believe that many people are ordained with one anointed purpose to bring Him honor, but I also believe that people can have several callings throughout their lives. The experiences we have, the people we meet, and the lessons we learn all prepare us for the next job we are asked to do in the Kingdom. He is the one who allows those experiences, people, and lessons to occur so that we may be ready to serve Him. Right now, my calling is to be a devoted wife, and Godly mother, and an encourager to women. I doubt this calling will change, but I do believe that He will add more to my plate as He sees fit.

I say all of this and reference the verse above to remind us to actively develop and pursue what He has called us to do. Being unintentional about our purpose in His grand design will leave us feeling empty, lost, and confused. Grabbing on to our purpose, on the contrary, will allow us to feel alive, motivated, and basking in the sweet spot of His intention. Every job that is worth doing, espeically those done for Him, will have its challenges. But, persevering through the hard activities that bring Him glory will only bring blessings about on the other side.

Part of my motivation for writing this blog was a link that my best friend sent to me. Take a minute to read the following:
God has placed the idea of writing a devotional book on my heart. I have been neglectful in pursuing this lately, and this bit of encouragement from my sweet friend has prompted me to actively ponder this idea again. If it isn't His will, I'm fully confident that He will sweetly put a stop to it. If it is His will, He will bless it all the way.

Wherever you are in your journey towards, or through, your calling, I pray that He will clearly show you your next steps. Let's not be apathetic about what He has called us to do, even if today's calling is beginning potty-training with your toddler. He always has a purpose, and He loves to see us smile about it on the way. 

Go after it, mommies! I love you!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment